Starting out


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius » Grand Port
February 4th 2011
Published: February 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

World Adventure


We have now set off on world adventure take 2! There was quite a large change from our planned itinerary due to Harry breaking his leg a week before we were due to travel. Therefore instead of going to South Africa we spent a month staying with parents in Worcester and Hereford before coming straight out to Australia the day after Harry had his cast removed. We booked a new flight via Mauritius and so arranged an overnight stay there in order to break up the journey and explore a bit of the island.

We had a fun day in Mauritius although it was very hot and humid which made it very difficult to get around. Harry wasn't helped by the fact that his leg was still pretty swollen but he was able to get around okay, albeit slowly, on the one crutch. Thankfully there were lots of nice views of the beach and the heat meant that Steph was also walking a bit slower which reduced the difference in walking pace.

We only explored Maheburg, the village in which we were staying, so we did not make it round to the other side of the island to see the capital, Port Louis. It was a very friendly place and the guest house owner carried the bags for us due to my leg. The room was a little odd as the shower and sink for the en suite bathroom were still in the same room as the bed. Thankfully the toilet was in its own room. That said it was very comfortable and breakfast the next day was very good, if a little strange. It was on the terrace on the roof of the hotel so had great views. They had laid out on our table a random assortment of breakfast items without any explanations, but they turned out to be pretty good.

We found a nice place to eat in the evening and set about trying to spend all the Rupees that we had taken with us. We still failed and ended up with half of them left, about £16 worth, but we had a very nice meal with very large portions.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb