Honeymoon II: Perfect place to recover


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius » Grand Bay
May 6th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After the excitement of safari, the second half of the honeymoon didn't start as smoothly as planned. We had already had our flights changed not long before the wedding and instead of flying directly from Nairobi to Mauritius we had to get up early to fly down to Johannesburg before catching a connecting flight to Mauritius. All was going well until the connecting flight was cancelled due to problems with the plane or some other rubbish. We were among three hundred or so unhappy people who had to be ferried to a local hotel, queue for a room and wait to hear what was happening. Thankfully we did catch a flight later that night but the whole thing could have been dealt with better and we missed a night in our lovely hotel.

When we finally arrived we checked in, with a complimentary glass of champagne before being shown to our room which was excellent - great view out towards the sea included! After a couple of hours catching up on sleep we hit the beach to start the relaxing part of our honeymoon.

We spent our six days mainly relaxing on the beach or by the pool. The sea was a bit cold to get into but a great relief from the sun - especially on the last day. We both tried our hand at water skiing and it was a great success with both of us getting stood up very quickly and having a few good runs - as well as a couple of spectacular dismounts! Simon also tried his hand at windsurfing and was a bit rusty to begin with but soon managed to get going. The pedalos and kayak were enjoyed at a more sedate pace.

We did manage to spend some time away from the luxury of our hotel complex. We cycled to the nearest town called Goodlands in the hope of buying some souvenirs but were rather disappointed by the rather basic shops in the town which weren't really geared towards tourists anyway. We also spent another half day walking around a conservation area in the south of the island. The area had been marked out as a route for a motorway but thankfully it had been saved as it is home to several species of endangered fauna and flora as well as animals.

The food was lovely and we had the choice of four different restaurants to choose from. We also met quite a few honeymoon couples which isn't a surprise - there were also several weddings at the resort while we were staying so they were well set up to pamper us all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb