From Nouakchott to Nema


Advertisement
Mauritania's flag
Africa » Mauritania » Hodh Ech Chargui » Néma
July 28th 2008
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We took a mercedes grand-taxi from Nouakchott to Nema, 1000km away near the Malian border. The trip took 25 hours through rain storms, lightning storms, sunshine and darkness. At one stage we were crawling through a flood in the very middle of a thunder and lightning storm, with water around our feet from the flood around us and coming through the roof from the rain. For a while we lost the road but eventually found it again.

Our taxi driver was an absolute legend - in those 25 hours he drove for 23 and slept for 2 - and he kept the car ticking over, bending the radiheater pump upwards when we were driving through deep floods to create a sort of snorkle for the engine. At times floods were too deep and we had to push the car through, then wait for the engine to drip-dry for a while. He only had one tape of off-key Mauritanian folk music, which kept slowing to a halt, but would be rewound and played again and again. By the end of the journey, I had gained huge respect for german car manufacturers and Mauritanian taxi drivers!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

FloodingFlooding
Flooding

Some of the floods we encountered along the way


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb