Last few days in Bamako


Advertisement
Mali's flag
Africa » Mali » District of Bamako » Bamako
January 4th 2008
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The last few days here have been busy busy fun.

Jack and Sharon are here with us now, settling in to African life. Its great to see them and to share this experience with them!

Yesterday we went to see the National Ballet practice, awesome dancers and drummers! They gave us our own little show, very cool. We came back to Jeremy's compound for lunch and a short rest. After a break, I had a really fun dance class. I'm starting to catch on to things a bit more quickly. Issa is an excellent teacher, very patient and playful. Jack and Sharon joined in at the end and we had a little dance jam out as the drummers started flexing thier muscles.

After dance class, Kevin had assembled a group of killer drummers for a little recording session, the best folks that we've seen on our trip, a truely excellent group! Just before they started, there was an accident and Kevin's recording device hit the ground. Shoot!! Que horrible! It was damaged, but disaster was narrowly averted, Kevin managed, with some coaxing, to get it working well enough to do the recording. It was an awesome drum jam! The guys completely jammed thier hearts out! Neighbors and passers by watched from the fence and we all danced in the yard. Super fun!

Last night we relaxed here with a few beers, had our own drum and dance session and just goofed off. Today we drum and dance, but also prepare for our pending journeys from Bamako.

Tomorrow morning we head out to Sega's nearby village to experience villiage life and the drumming and dancing there. I'm looking forward to a little fresh air and a different view of the country. After that we will meet our jeep and travel up to Mopti, Djenne, and Timbouctou for the festival. Email will be a bit more scant from here on out and scenery will be changing. The adventure continues!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb