Meet Pelepetuwa


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi
June 26th 2016
Published: July 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Pelepetuwa and Her ChildrenPelepetuwa and Her ChildrenPelepetuwa and Her Children

In front of their new house while under construction. As soon as the roof is added, the family will move into the house while the rest of the work is completed as the current living arrangement is not suitable for so many people in one room.
A 32-year old widow, Pelepetuwa raises five children ages 17-8: Mary, Essaya, Stella, Weston and Veronica. Heavy rains destroyed the family's house so they current reside with Pelepetuwa's oldest daughter who has 3 children. This means 10 people live inside a small single roomed house, built with unburnt bricks, a dirt floor, no windows and almost no ventiliation. In addition, Pelepetuwa and one of her children are HIV positive and receive ARV medication from the government. Pelepetuwa shared her dreams of homeownership, "Getting a Habitat house would mean the world to me, I would have my privacy as my kids are getting older every day and its gets uncomfortable at times as there are boys as well sharing the same space and not only is this true for me, but my adolescent girl as well."

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb