Checking Out the Hot Spots


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi
November 3rd 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

The local High StreetThe local High StreetThe local High Street

Like most African towns the high street is a mix of little shops all selling slightly different things from their neighbours but you seem to have to visit at least three till you find what you want. As we only come with hand baggage on the plane we can only bring a teaspoon full of shampoo so todays task was to buy some. It seems the locals do not use shampoo so it took some time to find any.
Geo: -11.607, 34.2794

Today we checked out the places to stay in Nkhata Bay. Last night we stayed in a Dive School called Aqua Africa whose main appeal to us at the time was that it is right next to the ferry landing point and it was not slated in the guide book. It is OK but after we had been shopping for essentials (shampoo and mossie spray) we walked up the coast testing the beer in each of the other places to stay. The guide book raves about the great back packer vibe and that Nkhata Bay is the "in place", it isn't, the other places are all a bit sad and run down which is a shame. So we will stay put at Aqua Africa until we move on on Sunday.

We did not pick up any children but as you can see below today we were adopted by a reggae star (that is at least his opinion of himself).


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Todays "adopted child"Todays "adopted child"
Todays "adopted child"

This chap adopted us today, he was quite helpful and showed us the best route along the coast for which he was rewarded with a beer. He then borrowed a guitar and started to sing us songs from his latest CD, I think he is the Nkhata bay version of Simon Willis. In the end I bought his CD, fortunately it only cost £2.
Beach CleanersBeach Cleaners
Beach Cleaners

The beach is cleaned each morning by men in white uniforms!! They are from the local prison and are guarded by a man with a big stick. Apparently if they run away their sentence is doubled so most stay put.


8th November 2016

:) :)

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb