Guest Blogger Mzuzu - Vwaza


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Northern » Mzuzu
May 28th 2007
Published: May 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

For the Likoma schoolFor the Likoma schoolFor the Likoma school

Paid for my Nayland school fundraising
Mon 28 May

Emerged from our dingy Travelodge and gave the battery another wallop and Jonathan appeared to guide us to a local mechanic who charged £2 for parts (new connectors) and a £2 tip for his time. But for the rest of the trip I was never 100% confident about the go-anywhere reliability of the 4x4, especially as the back door kept jamming, the exotic gauges (altimeter, compass, angle we were tipped at, etc) all had very wild readings, and a few other niggles. And we were to travel miles from anywhere on some very poor roads.

Spent the morning shopping for Tamsin’s ‘teacher aids’ - door locks, lamps, clocks,etc. Then farewell to Jonathan and Cecilia who headed off to catch the evening ferry, and we headed the other way for an hour down an unmade road to Vwaza Wildlife Reserve. Arrived at the gate to be told a warden would accompany us to our hut (an open plan shed with thatched roof) as ‘the elephants were about’. Well, the elephants had surrounded our hut but we were reassure as the warden said ‘they are short sighted and they are vegetarian’. Lovely location overlooking lake with hippos bathing, and baboons sauntering by. Went on a night drive and a morning walk and tried to look as excited as the ranger about the hares - which are bigger at home in Suffolk. Also saw impala, kudu (a deer), bush tail mongoose, elephant shrew (one of the ‘little five’ - the elephant is one of the ‘big five’), and a few birds (eagle owl).





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

3 cheers.  Hip Hip - Hippo3 cheers.  Hip Hip - Hippo
3 cheers. Hip Hip - Hippo

Sorry - Travelblog seems to require a title for every picture !


Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb