Kande Beach to Sanga Bay, Malawi


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Kandi Beach
October 5th 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

This is to be our last day in beautiful Malawi, and after a relatively short road trip through many more interesting villages and street markets, and a stop in one village for water and snacks in the local Superette, we arrive at the most beautiful beach we've seen so far.

Two people events to remember: 1. the butchery was chopping sides of meat on a wood stump in front of his shop while other sides hung overhead in the sun, 2. A mother was waiting for transport with two small children, three suitcases and a large blanket when a bike "taxi" stopped and after some negotiations the three suitcases were tied to the back of the bike and all walked off along the busy roadway.

We have mentioned before about the street scenes, but it's worth mentioning again. We are amazed that all manner of commerce is conducted outside and on the streets. Especially consumable goods, like produce and meat. The shops seem to be for packaged goods and other things, like repair shops or hardware. 

Our truck stops all along the way to buy good local produce and other groceries. We are fascinated by all of this because it is so different from home. Once we stopped a man in the middle of nowhere, pushing a bicycle loaded with a 100 pound sack of charcoal, helped him unload it, and lashed it to the back of the truck. He went happily on his way without his load and 1300 kwachas ($7 US) to the good.  

Tonight we are camping on grass. No more camping on sand, where you just give up having clean feet and 'go native' with sandals or bare feet. And put up with sand in the tent, and everywhere else.

Lovely breezes to keep the heat from being so intense, and a big shady verandah right on the water to lounge on, far from the madding crowds. We were cheek by jowl with other overland groups the past few days, complete with loud music and giggling 20-year old girls (not our group). With only one other overland group in camp tonight, we revel in the relative peace. 

Anyone traveling with an overland group must be prepared not only for your own group, but for many others in the same camp every night. First one there gets the best camping spots.

Sanga Bay has a beautiful sandy beach, with some black sand, some red, and the usual yellow sand that the waves make into a rainbow pattern as they crash in to shore.

Best of all, there are NO TOUTS to harass us on the beach. Yeah!

To top it all off, our chef Peter made a special meal of chicken masala, local fish caught today, sweet potatoes, banana mash, and a vegetable mix with spices and sauce. This was a true African dinner. Sumptuous! 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb