Lake Malawi


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Kandi Beach
October 29th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone from the shores of beautiful Lake Malawi!
Two days of horrible driving, including one bushcamp (camp in the middle of the road in a pineforest) brought us here from Dar es Salaam. We arrived late at night, and five minutes before entering the campsite we got stuck on a sandy road. We had to dig the truck out and push the feckin 16 tons, but this is Africa, what can you do?
I spent the last two days lazing on the beach, wave riding and sunbathing. Lake Malawi is so big that you cannot make out the opposite shore. Just like the beautiful Indian Ocean, it has got white sandy beaches and beautiful clear water. The weather had been quite stormy when we arrived, and so the waves were pretty big for a lake and great fun to splash around in. I also spent an afternoon exploring the village outside Kande Beach. I recruited two local guys called Mr T and Sisco to show me around (not their real names). Of course, they were in return selling me their crafts for more than they were worth, but again, this is Africa! Despite the overpriced crafts I had a great day in the village: they brought me to the local restaurant, which is basically a woman's kitchen, and while I was eating the local food (ugali with beans and spinach) a mother was washing her baby in the next room, while it was screaming its soul out. All in all, a very funny experience. Afterwards, I was shown the newborn babies in the local hospital and the local school. They even showed me where the village are keeping their chickens.
For tonight, our group bought a whole pig on a stick which is at the moment being roasted. As you can imagine, I am delighted about that meat-feast 😉. At least usually a roasted pig implies a big party, so I am going to buy beer now and hope for the best. Despite minor setbacks, and being more and more homesick, I am having a great time here in Malawi. We will have another day at the lake tomorrow (I might try horseriding), before heading further south in direction of the Victoria Falls.
Lots of love to all of you at home, Katja

Advertisement



29th October 2007

none
Hey Schpindelsche, ist immer wieder schön das Blog mitzulesen, Tanja ist so nett und schickt es immer an mich weiter ... Wir lesen also beide was du den ganzen lieben langen Tag so treibst ;-) Freuen uns immer über einen neuen Blog eintrag, und geniessen die eingestellten Photos... Wenn es dich tröstet .... hier ist es saukalt und ungemütlich ... wir beneiden dich ^^ Viele Liebe Grüße an dieser Stelle von mir, Kai.
31st October 2007

Hey Katja, you sound like you are having an amazing time, the blog is brill and the photos are amazing, got your post card yesterday, Zanzibar looks beautiful, can wait to hear more about your trip, nothing strange in Ireland same old same old. Every one says hello. See you soon and keep safe. Claire x

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb