Senga Bay - Day 8


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Central
October 22nd 2008
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This central part of Malawi we felt was rather boring and uninteresting as we drove southwards but one must balance this with the fact it is so dry at the moment. There were people everywhere, half of them on bicycles made in China and I expect that when the rains come and it all turns green it must be more attractive.

Our destination today was Senga Bay, the old Livingstonia hotel which is one of the oldest in the land and is situated on a lovely beach on Lake Malawi.

They offered rather attractive camping facilities and when we got there we were not disappointed. The site, over an acre in size, was treed and grassed nicely, reasonably clean given that the previous week there was a music festival there with the attendant hoards, and there was only one other camping family there - some South Africans with a very elaborate Land Cruiser and trailer tent set-up.

The facilities provided allowed us the opportunity to catch up with all our laundry but, because Malawi is an hour behind the rest of East Africa, the sun went down at 6 pm, rather than 7 pm. In consequence, the sun rises at the ungodly hour of 5 am! We had a long chat with the South African couple who told us that there was no problem getting fuel in Zimbabwe, which we were relieved, to hear, and they recounted how they had been hijacked in Botswana, without injury but at a loss of money and their passports - a very expensive nuisance for them.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb