Sleeping , Walking and Shopping Lilongwe, Malawi


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Central » Lilongwe
August 24th 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -13.9808, 33.7721

Got to Mabuya camp and found our A-frame Robert had reserved for us thankfully as we were both fairly exhausted. Had a minor crisis about water purifying because the crank one we have brought with us does require constant cranking for 90 seconds. We then switched to the Katydn system which allowed us to make water for the time we would be there.

Had a short nap, ordered some samosas then more nap and put in an order for dinner. Dinner has a set menu and you have to order before 5:30. Our dinner was chicken pasta and sweet potato curry both of which were quite delicious. After dinner we went back to the bar for some white wine, no red wine to be found! Visited with Samuel who has been there for five months and is setting off on a new adventure in teaching English in the bush!

Wake up after a very refreshing night sleep and were ready to take on the day after a Full English Breakfast. It is a 25-30 minute walk into the old town area where there is a large shopping center with Spar, Shoprite (grocery stores) and Game(camping supplies).

We were also trying to find a sim card (3G USIM data card) that we could use with our pocket wi-fi. We went to several places and some of the people looked at us as if we were asking about trips to outer space! Finally gave up and headed over to do our shopping. As usual, we did to much because we were going to have to carry it all back with us.

Very happy to find some fuel for our old propane Bluet stove. It burns much cleaner than the multifuel gasoline one does. Also got some granola, coffee, milk and a few other things we did not think they would have in Mfuwe. Game would not take credit card.

Used our credit card at the Spar and Shoprite grocery stores and did at first have a problem at one of the Shoprite but it finally went through. We were holding up the line ....you wouldn't like it either.

Walked back to Mabuya camp and got as much packed as possible because we have a 7:00 am pickup to take us to the border. Dinner was not delicious as the night before but still quite good. Unfortunately they ran out of wine but we soldiered on! Settled our bill because Colin said not all the workers have been able to master the credit card machine and it is spotty at times. Once again our record keeping came up only $2 difference in what I had and their tab!

Back to the room to upload some pictures. Had put in order for breakfast because wanted something in our stomachs for the ride from Llongwe to border and then on to Chipata and on to Mfuwe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb