Wearing my heart on my sleeve


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Central » Kasungu
November 23rd 2012
Published: November 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Certificate giving ceremonyCertificate giving ceremonyCertificate giving ceremony

Out of work youths come everyday for one month to learn excel word and powerpoint. It costs £11 for the month!
Anybody who knows me well knows I wear my heart on my sleeve….

What a week! I haven’t written anything since Tuesday because I’ve not had Internet access of course but also because I’ve been really quite ill. I’ve been suffering heat exhaustion and also I’m sure I’m having a reaction to my Malaria medication. I’ve been extremely weak and unable to eat and sleep. The heat has been unbearable and there has been no relief from it. Generally they don’t use fans anywhere here let alone air conditioning. When I shower (water depending) I get out and within 5 minutes my skin is clammy again. Getting dressed is such an effort. If I manage to get to sleep I am woken with sweat dripping off me. When I’ve been working my clothes are wet which makes me self conscious! I’ve had an upset tummy so I’ve been worried about making it to the posh hotel to use their toilet facilities! This has obviously affected my mood significantly.

I expected this trip to be challenging but in different ways. I prepared myself for the challenges of working in a different culture and potentially different accounting systems. I didn’t even anticipate the difficulties of coping with all the other stuff.

I’ve missed a few hours of work this week as a result. When I do go to work I’m asking if they can escort me here and there to get this and that which takes additional time out of the day. They have been extremely patient with me but I sensed that they were getting a little frustrated toward the end of the week. So being me, I’m texting instructions from my bed putting Blessings and Charles to work! It actually worked out perfectly because when I eventually arrived at the office at 2pm on Thursday we could just concentrate on the parts where they needed my guidance, they had done all the preparatory work.

I spoke to AfID and they were extremely supportive and understanding. After the conversation I felt so much better and realised I was expecting far too much of myself! They start work at 8.30am, they give one hour for lunch and finish at 4.30pm. That’s fine if you can take lunch to work, or pop to a shop to grab a sandwich but it’s impossible here! Even the shops don’t sell snacks apart from biscuits and crisps. Most of the smaller restaurants in the town tend to sell hot food which I can’t bear to eat. One day I went back to my guest house to shower and turned back up at work when I was ready and felt better for it.

My diet here since I arrived has practically been apples and bananas as that’s all I’ve been able to force down me. It’s taking me about half an hour to eat a banana!

When summoned up the energy I came to the posh hotel as my family and AfID suggested they may have air conditioning. It does thankfully (when there is no black out) so I ask Gentry to escort me to the bank as it’s a lot more than I budgeted for. I get there and guess what? The cash machines aren’t working!!! Seriously, there are constant problems to deal with here. I had just enough money on me to change to pay for two nights (even though I’m supposed to pay for all nights in advance).

I moved into this hotel last night. The advantage is I’ve cooled down and I’m beginning to feel a little normal again. The room isn’t in direct sunlight so thankfully when there is a black out it should stay cool for some time. The disadvantage is there is a large gap under the door so all the mozzys can come in. So I’ve sprayed a towel and stuck it under the door (much to the porter’s horror).

Today I asked Blessings to escort me to the bank to get the rest of the money. Cash machines are working (phew) so I request the amount I want and the cash machine said NOOOOO! Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh

The maximum you can take out is 40,000 kwacha which is about £80 but Blessings suggested that the machine is unlikely to let me take it. He said to get 20,000 kwacha, then put my card in and get 20,000 kwacha until I have enough. I explained that if I do that the bank in the UK will stop my card! I said I will try twice, if it works, I’ll have to contact the bank to explain what I’m going to be doing each day.

Blessings escorts me to the bicycle taxis so I can go straight to the hotel and pay them. I was impressed with my taxi as it had a radio under the seat playing music! Then I have to explain to the hotel manager that it’s going to be impossible for me to pay upfront and he will have to accept the cash in lump sums!

Oh I forgot to mention, you can only pay in cash here! No cards.

It’s working out better as I can return here at lunch time and cool off. But also I am pleased to say that it’s been cloudy for two days now. Gentry and Blessings are Christians and they said they’re praying that I get well soon and that the rains come.

So after a VERY long week I return to my hotel to the porter telling me that I am turning down the air conditioning too much! It has to be above 25 degrees otherwise it spits out water. I told him I’ll give it a go, but if it’s not cool enough then they’ll just have to mop up the water!

I’m not enjoying being on my own I really do miss my family alot. Thankfully I have a TV even though it’s mainly news but at least I can listen to English voices! Some contact with the outside world. This weekend I have nothing planned because I simply don’t have the energy to deal with all the issues of trying to plan it all and deal with all the problems. Plus I’m out of cash as I’ve drawn twice today.

So I’m going to spend Saturday typing up lots of notes and reports to give to Gentry on Monday so I can ask for Friday off! I have luxury weekend in a safari lodge booked and I really want to go early on Friday so I can enjoy the full weekend. I just pray that I can start eating before then otherwise it’s going to be a challenge being there too!

We've achieved great things at work this week. But I'll save that for another blog!

Advertisement



25th November 2012

Wow mummy!
Sounds like your having an amazing time! The pictures are awesome can't wait to see them all when u get back! We miss you loads! Sounds like an eventful trip hope ur enjoying it! Love you loads proud of you xxxx
26th November 2012

I'll never make a photographer
Hi Anna, You know I'll never make a photographer. There is so much to take photos of but I'm nervous about upsetting people like we did in India lol! Mum xxx
26th November 2012

Looking after number one.
Hi Sonya It sounds like your doing an amazing job - well done. It can be difficult sometimes to adjust to challenging new suroundings and to stay positive at the same time. Its important you make your own health and wellbeing the priority. Dont try and take on too much too soon, we expect to help all of our partners over many months and you are playing a very important role but its going to be a team game. Its great to hear you are going to see some of Malawi's wildlife - its just what we would reccommend. Please keep in touch as we always want to help. Keep positive. Neil
26th November 2012

Thanks Neil
Thanks Neil, I was expecting far too much of myself in the first week, but I'm getting there now :) I'm pleased with the work we've achieved so far. Just received confirmation of my weekend trip so I'm really looking forward to that :) Sonya
26th November 2012

Thanks Neil
Thanks Neil, I was expecting far too much of myself in the first week, but I'm getting there now :) I'm pleased with the work we've achieved so far. Just received confirmation of my weekend trip so I'm really looking forward to that :) Sonya

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb