Babakotokely walk with Jeano


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar
September 24th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -18.9427, 48.4085

Slow moving morning but finally get moving and go to Mitsinjo for another walk. They are such a good value and you always see something interesting. We decided to just do a short walk and Jeano was our guide again.

We finally got to see a leaf tailed gecko! Was not like what the pictures in our book suggest it looked like but this is what Jeano said it was and later when we saw it again it was this same gecko.

Found the indri indri again and watched them as they were being fed. They explained to us this group knows they will be fed and stay pretty close to the area where people will be walking.

After the walk, we went back and talked to Tiana about possibly going and seeing the captrive breeding program for the frogs. This is an interesting story of why this research center is here. When the nickel mine (believe this is what it is, still searching for information) was being built, one of the creatures habitat they were ruining was the golden mantella frog. Mitsinjo with assistance from others set up the captive breeding program and it has been a great success and now the challenge is to find where they can release some of these frogs without upsetting the balance with the existing frogs and other inhabitants of the forest.

Made arrangements to go on a walk with Christin. We met him while talking to Tiana and he actually has a bird book to be able to see the birds as they are named.



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb