Tanafisaka-night walk with Dipsy


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar
September 14th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -18.9427, 48.4085

Our first night walk and we were not sure what to expect. Both of us had our torch/flashlight to enable us to see as we walked along. Robert had suggested bringing a hiking pole since it had been raining off and on the paths would be slick. Was glad for the suggestion before the night was over!

It was misting as took off and had turned to a light rain as the walk continued. We got to see one of the smallest of the chameleon's. It looked like a piece of bark when you first saw it and then were told it was a chameleon!

We were walking pretty much the same trail as we had on the morning walk. Being night, it was more treacherous since you had to useis your light to see where you were walking and still see where Dipsy was shining his much larger torch.

All of a sudden, Dipsy takes off running saying something over his shoulder. Moving as fast as we could down the stairs to see what he has found and it is a tiny mouse lemur. This lemur is only about a foot tall, light colored and looking at us with his red eyes! Seems a little cruel to shine the light in their eyes to keep them still so we took some pictures and moved on.

Saw another small chameleon and then found a very amazing sight. There was a very large spider that was busy eating a small gecko it had trapped! We discovered this when we tried to pull the leaves of the plant apart to get a better view and the spider had built a very deep tunnel like trap.

As we approached the pond, we got to see bats flying around catching insects and across the pond, some dwarf lemurs up in the trees. Never got close enough to get a real good look. Came out to the road and you could hear the frogs singing away. Shined the light on these tiny green frogs with enormous eyes singing away. So very funny.

Back to Mitsinjo where we dined on a salad, baguette, and Happy Cow cheese washed down with Uvita wine. This wine was an unexpected treat, from Argentina, in a box, drinkable and so very cheap! Decided we must do this again. Rained pretty much all night long but we were protected under the cover of our shelter.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Guided Night Walk in Madagascar Rain Forest  Guided Night Walk in Madagascar Rain Forest
Guided Night Walk in Madagascar Rain Forest

very small Chameleon....maybe Fulshear chameleon
Guided Night Walk in Madagascar Rain Forest  Guided Night Walk in Madagascar Rain Forest
Guided Night Walk in Madagascar Rain Forest

not sure what the name is, but called them 'rain frog' because was misting rain and they were singing away!!!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb