Arrival Madagascar; Madagascar Underground Hostel


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar » Antananarivo
September 6th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -18.9154, 47.52

Had a short wait before it was time to load the plane. Not sure if meal is served so share a fried rice dish. When we had checked in they asked if we wanted to change our seats so we were sitting in a two seat section of the aircraft. Very nice, no one stepping over you or you have to step over someone else! The ride was fine and the landing fairly smooth.

Disembark from plane and walk into the airport and as we enter the arrivals hall, we are scanned by a lady with a thermometer. Guess checking to see if anyone has a fever. The questionnaire you fill out does ask if you have been sick with a fever or cough. Guess do not want any outbreaks. Stand in long line to see what kind of visa you will be needing. We are one day over the 30 day free, so have to go to the other line and pay. One of the people in the check in line we believe was trying to get us to pay a bribe but we chose not to take the bait! Once we have paid our fee, another line as they check in large group of passports and then another official starts calling out our names and hands us our passports. Fortunately Robert was able to collect our luggage before our names were called!

This has taken about an hour and we see our names on a sign and out we go to greet the person forgetting that all important necessity; change a little money to pay the driver! Get car loaded and off we go.

Reminds us of Denpasar or any other busy Asian city. There are buses, tour vehicles, taxi brousses, taxis, person pulled carts, oxen driven carts, motorcycles, bicycles, people and cars all on the road. There were stalls selling fruit, veggies, clothes, and all manner of things along the road.

It took us about an hour to get to the Madagascar Underground passing the main downtown market and train station. Interestingly all mileage begins at the train station. Got our things unloaded and up to our room with the help of our driver, Hasiana. He gave us his information in case we wanted to use him to get to Andasibe. We were able to pay him with US dollars and will change money in the morning.

Madagascar Underground

Our room was at the top of the stairs and there were dorm rooms up on this level as well and restrooms and showers for them. we had a private room with our own toilet. Our view was the construction that was going on across the street and down into the backyard of Madagascar Underground. This place is located near the old United States Embassy which evidently is a familiar landmark for taxi drivers.

Got ourselves settled in, changed clothes, and headed downstairs to check things out. There is a dining area and a large common area with a small bar at one end. Lots of couches, books, and places for people to sit and visit.

Sat at the bar and girl says there is white wine but no red!!!!!!! We spy a bottle up on the shelf, it is a pinotage and we buy it for the evening. Meet two regulars from out in the community, Eldon in oil and gas and Bill in security including the American embassy. Also visit with Alica who is managing the place. Order some tacos, Laura chicken and Robert fish. Not real large but nice and come with an order of beans and rice. Enjoying our dinner when the party arrives.

The Anatanatirivo Hash House Harriers come dancing in. For those not familiar with a hash, this is a running club/group that meets and has a run. The origin of the hash was in the time period before World War II and it fashions itself after the hare and hound. The hare sets the trail with chalk or such, including false trails and back tracking etc. This is a fairly well organized group complete with the Grand Master. At the end of the hash, as the run is called, there is usually drinking and singing of hashing songs. They brought their party to the Madagascar Underground.

After they arrived, the noise level increased, and the party continued on. During all this fun, the other girl working with Alice hit a wrong key on the cash register and it locked shut. Fortunately there was a hasher who had worked in a bar and knew the secret button on bottom to at least get it open so they could give and receive money! Nice evening but we decide to head to bed.

The next evening drinking wine and playing some of the board games with the creator, Bill. The first
game
walking  to airport from planewalking  to airport from planewalking to airport from plane

love the uniform especially the hat
was similar to chess and I did fairly well but the second lost fairly rapidly!

Our last day there was spent packing and napping. Joe, the waiter, cut both of our hair. In another
life he had been a hairdresser. Also tried our luck with the ATM machines. They do not allow you to
withdraw a large sum but was able to withdraw money from both our cards!




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

train stationtrain station
train station

all distance measurements begin here


Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0977s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb