Only one cheetah in the entire area and dad saw it!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
September 22nd 2015
Published: September 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

In July a cheetah was first spotted in the Nairobi National Park after several years without a sighting. The camp officials we're not sure why the cheetahs left or why this one returned. When we asked about different animals early on they shared a shy cheetah had been spotted just a couple of times and not to expect to see her here as we would likely find cheetahs once we moved to other locations. Late yesterday dad and the guide saw her just before the sun set! The guide was so excited since this was only the third time he had seen her.

We've seen so many amazing sights here! The animals are everywhere and simply aren't interested in changing behavior when we drive near. In the last couple of days we've seen impalas, gazelles, baboons, two types of monkeys, vultures, snake hunting birds named something, giraffes, wildebeests, black and white rhinos, buffalo, haarthogs, hyrax, zebras, warthogs, ostrich and probably others I've forgotten to name.

A few random tidbits:


• A herd of zebra is called a dazzle and a herd of giraffe a jonny
• In Swahili, the pronunciation of Wenatchee (not spelling) means people
• Zebra don't mind who watches private boy-girl time
• Ostrich' have such power in their tiny legs they can fight off a single lion with hard kicks
• They do have snakes here but we fortunately haven't seen them. The owner of the camp showed photos to us last night (right before I went to sleep 😞)
• Lions at night are so loud! They sound like buffalo and can keep you awake for hours
• Lone, male buffalo are the meanest of the herbivores in this area



We fly out this morning for a camp in Meru National Park. The Emakoko and Nairobi Park have been an incredible start to our adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



22nd September 2015

Wow!
So exciting to see those animals whose pics you took! Thank you for the update. Good eyes, Herold!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb