A lion crossed our path within two hours of arrival in Africa!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
September 20th 2015
Published: September 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

An amazing start to our first trip to Africa! Our flight landed a little after 8pm and we were picked up by the guide from The Emakoko. The Emakoko is adjacent to the Nairobi National Park, just outside of the city. It took a half-hour or so to reach the park and we traveled inside about 10 minutes before headlights picked up a male lion "marking his turf". He acknowledged our presence but was not included to change his behavior and we got to follow him down the road for a few minutes before he sauntered into the brush. So cool! I took a couple of photos with my phone.

Soon after we ran into a herd(?) of zebra, then more zebra and a couple of wildebeests. Next was a jackal, just for a second, then a group of dainty impala.

This morning I watched the monkeys swinging in the trees next to the cabin and I think I saw a baboon in the distance. We don't have our first official "game drive" until this afternoon. A couple that went out that this morning said they saw lots of rhino.

The Nairobi airport was peaceful and full of helpful, friendly people. There was no sense of tension or danger, even travelers didn't seem uptight 😊.

The Emakoko is incredible - I don't know that I'll want to leave when our three nights are up. Staff members represent several different tribes. The super-friendly, chatty bartender filled us in last night on tribal politics, his history, his family in Meru (our next stop), tidbits about others working at the Lodge and more. He created a drink he calls Dawa (or something like that) that means "medicine" in Swahili.

This morning we visited with a lady from Nairobi staying for the weekend with her husband and kids. She had heard about our fires and remarked how scary that would be. So strange that our fires were noted and remembered by Kenyans watching the news in their homes. We were concerned this was the scary place 😊!

Photos are of the lion last night, Nairobi airport, view from the room this morning, and last night's dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



20th September 2015

WOW!
Lions! no tigers or bears, OH MY! Thanks again for sharing, and ENJOY!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb