Children children everywhere


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
September 6th 2014
Published: September 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Nairobi has 8 slums within in its boundary, the largest has over 1 million people living in it. Death from TB, AIDS, malnutrition are daily realities for these people. Unbelievable!!

Nyumbani orphanage for HIV children was started in 1995 after news that HIV infected orphans were being shot by police. The founder, a Jesuit priest and psychiatrist from the US, was appalled when he heard of this atrocity and through a network of people started the rescue effort that has continued long after his passing. Today the Nyumbani Orphanage is permanent home to 124 HIV infected children aged 3-20 and has a waiting list. The survival rate is so good since the advent of the anti HIV drugs that there has not been a death since 2000. The mandate is to encourage, love and provide a sound education for each child in their care. The success is evidenced by the laughter, smiles and genuine signs of "family" living as older kids help the younger ones and the warm greeting of guests on the property. Each house of 14 children has a 24 hour house mother or uncle. The orphanage also offers temporary rescue to children from the Nairobi slums who are at risk of death from starvation. They bring these little ones in, feed them and treat any medical problems and return them to their family, provided they can be care for appropriately. Though largely supported by donation and benefactors, the gifting does not cover all the costs involved. As a result of ingenious business thinking, this site is home to the largest and technically most up to date HIV testing lab in all of a Kenya. HIV and other lab testing is available to all Kenyans and generates revenue that goes directly back into the orphanage. We had the pleasure of spending time with the little 3-9 year olds, as the older kids were away for the day. We were entertained by song and giggles and jumping games. The kids love having their picture taken and laugh hysterically when shown a picture and they recognize themselves. This day was truly a delight but then, any day with children is where I am concerned.

Leaving for Zambia tomorrow!

Mouahhhh

MnA


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



6th September 2014

Now you can understand how broken my heart was when leaving India after 2 months! The amount of love you see within these kids who have nothing is simply life changing! And it may not be a bad thing that they don't have modern toilets, research has proven that squatty potty's are more ergonomic and help pass stool more efficiently :P

Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb