Kenya - Stop # 9


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
March 14th 2009
Published: March 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kenya - Stop # 9


Missing Madagascar wasn't so disappointing when it turned into a trip to Kenya. It was a thrill to return to one of our favorite countries. We spent very little time in Nairobi due to safety issues and spent as much time on safari as possible.

We had a great driver/guide for our 8 days of safaris. Jim tackled the dreadful Kenyan roads and the long hours of difficult driving to deliver us to Masai Mara National Reserve, Amboselli Game Preserve, and to The Ark and Treetops Lodge in the Aberdare National Park. All the locations we chose were nostalgic returns to the sites we had visited in 1986 and 1988. We were not disappointed with any of these spectacular spots. The Ark and Treetops are special lodges designed to allow day and night game viewing from the blinds, the rooftop, and the decks of the lodge. Both are located on waterholes which attract a wide variety of animals.

Masai Mara National Park is a vast savannah which is filled with a wealth of wildlife. We were happy to see the numbers of animals were still high. Amboselli Game Preserve, at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro, was extremely dry. However, the animlas are still there in abundance.

The Serena Lodges, at both of these locations, are outstanding facilities with unique African architectural styles, great views, and delicious food. Eating at the lodges is similar to the non-stop food on a cruise. At night, the fire pits, star-filled skies, African music, and frequent animal cries add to the full African experience.

Kenya is dealing with a drought and the parks were very dry and dusty. The crater of Mt. Kilimanjaro, from the Kenyan side, is no longer covered with snow. It had some snow on the peak, but nothing like we saw in 1988 when we climbed it. Mt. Kenya also had little snow on its peak. Apparently, more signs of climate change and global warming?!

Each day, at 6:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. in both Masai Mara and Amboselli, we were off on our game drives. Jim would head off in different directions, confer with other game drivers, and manage to search out and deliver us to all the hot game spots. The list of animals that we saw was quite lengthly. So here is what we saw:


Additional photos below
Photos: 124, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th March 2009

WOW
The photos are just great, makes me want to go. Were they the women who made the beads?? I loved this blog
14th March 2009

I doubt that they were the women who made our beads. But, I don't know for sure. I think they are too busy doing the hard sell to everyone who enters the parks.
16th March 2009

Thanks
Great photos, guys. I carry visions of scenes from Africa in my head, some like these you have shared. What a world we live in!

Tot: 0.531s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 34; qc: 144; dbt: 0.1935s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb