You Feed Them at Yogo Village


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province
March 3rd 2014
Published: March 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

On Saturday I hired a taxi to take Ben,Lillian, George(an agricultural officer and a member of the Bumala committee),and me to visit the first YFT project which is at Yogo. This is not far from Bumala but the road has many rocks and holes, not to mention motorcyclists, which make it very slow. We went first to the home of Silas and Kimberly. Kimberly is from Ottawa and Silas from Yogo.After they married they spent several years in Ottawa and were part of the group which started YFT to address the poverty and starvation in Yogo. Now they live in Yogo and Silas is the coordinator for the YFT projects in Yogo and Seje. We also met Roland and Theresa, part of a YFT team from Osgoode currently at Yogo. Silas and Roland took us on a tour of the farm and explained the difference since YFT started four years ago. Roland said it could be done more quickly now that they have this experience. They have just bought a commercial grade rototller to help with the preparation of the soil. Previously it took six weeks to dig the fields, three times a year.

After we had a meal we said goodbye. The whole YFT team from Osgoode will visit us on Tuesday to assess the suitability of Bumala for the YFT approach. The next challenge will be to find a church in Canada to partner with Bumala.

That was the worst day for my cough. I found the dust from the road particularly difficult. I got to a doctor on Sunday and an antibiotic which is making a big difference.

Advertisement



3rd March 2014

Get Well!
When Linda returned from lunch with Robin, she advised that your cold had returned with a vengence. That helped explain your lack of updates the last few days and I can now breathe a little easier. Your notes are interesting; but, it is equally important that you relax a little and get healthy. No cold-headaches on your return flight, please. Peace and joy be with you. And, may you know that He is there with you always.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb