Belated Update


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province » Bungoma
August 11th 2011
Published: August 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wow, so I apologize greatly for not being able to blog about all of the projects while they were going on in Kenya. Electricity was scarce and keeping my computer charged was very difficult. Please understand. Now I am back and I am able to update you with photos and all sorts of wonderful new updates on St. Elizabeth’s Nursery School.
So the point where I left off ... we had built the fence on the newly owned property.

So on Monday, June 27th I met with Guadencia, Evalynn, and other members of the school committee. We re-evaluated our budget and the costs of the proposed projects. At the meeting we all decided that because this is a community-based project, the Muhkwea community had a shared responsibility and commitment to the efforts that were being put forth for the school. We decided we would ask members of the community to donate small trees for the rafters and roof support of the new school building. Most people have these small trees growing on their property and can afford to donate a couple.

TEACHING NURSERY SCHOOL
That very next Friday, (July 1st) the teachers left the children at the school house while they walked through the community carrying saws; asking people to donate their trees. The trees were cut on the spot. The children were left without a teacher that day… so I volunteered to do the job. The theme of the lesson was “Transportation” …and ignoring the fact that I don’t speak much swahilli and they don’t know much English yet… I would say it went well. ( they loved us because we brought plenty of sweets for them) Thank goodness Jason came to help me – with his ability to work with children and speak swahilli- it was perfect! Imagine us laughing as we attempted to teach math, grammar, and methods of transportation to about twenty-five 3 and 4 year olds. It was AMAZING! At one point all of us were “driving” around the school making “vroom vroom” sounds like a motorbike. –The kids had so much fun!
After the children went home we went nearby to bargain for and buy some “big” trees to be used for the wall posts. We also had to hire someone with a chainsaw to fall the trees and cut the posts, but altogether it was cheaper than buying lumber. After purchasing some nails, the construction could begin.

CONSTRUCTION
The fundi agreed that we could pay him 3,000 Ksh ($35) to build the entire school building from the ground up. Community volunteers would help as well. Construction began Monday, June 4th. Holes had to be dug, posts were set, and roofing beams were laid. Roofing rafters were nailed down next.. and boy, it took the whole community to get those trees up so high- that’s for sure! No ladders needed… this is Africa! Once the roof beams were in place and solidly nailed down. Work was done for the day. The next day, we bought 24 iron sheets in town and brought them to Muhkwea by motorcycle! (18,976 Ksh / $221)

MUDDING
The 24 iron sheets were nailed in place. The next step was to add many branches across the posts on both the inside and outside of each wall. These smaller cross beams would be used to hold the first mud clumps in place. So now the mudding could begin! Sadly, I wasn’t able to help mud the new school on the first day because I did mini-mission type trip to Kakamega working with street boys. But upon my return I found that the community had really come together and started to put the first layer of mud on the walls. – it was exciting to see the new building finally coming together and almost finished! A few days later I met with about 5 men and 15 women ( parents and community members) – to finish the second layer of mudding.
Before you can begin chucking mud clumps onto the structure…there is quite a process in making the mud and ensuring it is the correct consistency. We dug straight into the ground and chopped up the dirt. Some woman carried water from a distant well to add to the dirt mixture. We used our feet and leg muscles to mix the mud. Digging and digging, stomping and stomping. – 2 hours later… the mud was ready to use for the walls. We carried mud… we threw mud… we packed mud…and in the end we were very dirty…but we had a new school!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb