Week in Kenya


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Nakuru
March 16th 2011
Published: March 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

My last blog entry was published in a hurry as a bug the length of my middle finger casually flew in the window, leaving Alice cowering on the sofa like a small child, whilst Erick (the 4 year old at Sure 24) was actively chasing the bug trying to hit it with a load of pencils. Finally managed to catch it in a jar and put a piece of paper over the top, although I was scared it was going to eat its way through the paper/ sting me through the paper!

As it turns out a 12 year old boy killed one and caught it in a tissue yesterday (shown up again massively).

Internet access is a bit scarce/ expensive so hence the delayed blogging but since my last post we have;

Milked the cows... hilarious at 8am in the cow shed, first cow went well, 2nd cow MILK EVERYWHERE!! I definitely squirted a calf and Alice had some on her shoes.

Attempted to make japatti's- the best food here, taste like pancakes (if only we had lemon and sugar) although the paranoia from one of the women that me and Alice might burn ourselves/ get oil in our eye/ some how maybe fall into the stove drove us out of the kitchen quickly.
But we made one each, no injuries! Will just wait until the boys are making them again without adult supervision, loads more fun!

We have also been learning the drums, yesterday had Daniel (one of the older boys, normally at Boarding school/ 6th form) moving one foot and Simon- who is BRILLIANT at drumming for a 12 year old doing my hands- was actually quite good! We have about 2 weeks to master this... it will happen!

Spent well over an hour dancing with some of the older boys yesterday... introduction to Reggae dance for me and waving, footwork and pirouettes for them! The pirouettes are the best as they physically can't bend their feet enough to get on their toes!

Some of the boys performed at the local international school on Saturday, they had a talent evening type thing that the boys opened. Be thankful to all your parents at this point who have sat through your assemblies as they are dull, after watching the boys I did get near suicidal when we had to sit through "bad day" by Daniel Pouter for the third time!

However the boys were amazing and videoing them whilst I had Erick asleep on my lap was certainly a challenge! Also jump starting the car was a hilarious way to our journey home! Especially navigating it out of the space with no head lights or power!

Have spent part of today in tears at one of the boys stories that he has written out for Rain Edge UK (the UK charity behind this) its actually becoming quite emotional just the thought of leaving as you just become part of the community and part of their family.

Last night I got "from now on when you talk about your boy best friend it will be Dennis and when I talk about my girl best friend it will be Lucy" (Dennis is one of the boys here and is just so talented!!) So lovely!!

Anyway PAYG internet and need to research Kenyan Trains... totally new one for me!! They work on a daily timetable more than times as such...!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb