Safari..... Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
December 19th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have just finished a four day safari in the Maasai Mara and Lake Nakuru National Parks. We are now relaxing in Kampala (Uganda) after a 13.5 hour bus journey. We won't say too much, but will let our pictures do the talking......

It was just the two of us, an American girl and our guide in our safari van. We spent most of the first day travelling from Nairobi to the Masai Mara a bumpy journey involving two punctures. That evening we went on a game drive and stayed the night in semi permanent tents complete with en suite and hot water.

The next day we spent the whole day in the park including a walk along the river to see crocodiles (accompanied by an armed park ranger) and a picnic lunch. That evening we visited a local Masai tribe village, which was an interesting if slightly awkward feeling experience. Alex was invited to take part in a traditional dance, which basically seemed to involve jumping up and down, with a blanket wrapped around you!

The next morning we went into the park again (and got another puncture). We then drove to Lake Nakuru, the journey included the engine overheating, us running out of petrol and lots of local children waving at us from the roadside. We stayed in a very nice hotel - apart from the builders who had their scaffold precariously tied to our window! We spent the morning in the park and were lucky enough to see tree climbing lions and lots of rhino, as well as thousands of pelican. However, no sign of the millions of flamingos that sometimes frequent the lake.... or the elusive leopards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 18; qc: 100; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb