Masai Mara/Serengetti - Lion Kill


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
September 9th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another early breakfast and we headed off to the Mara en route to the Serengetti in Tanzania, the abudance of Zebra, Wilderbeast, Gazelles, Giraffes, Elephants, mongoose, Baboons, Antelope as just unbelievable, Lion food every where you looked. We saw another congregation of vans in the distance and we headed over to have a nose. There were seven female lions all resting in some bushes, we also saw Wilderbeast all marching in a line heading further in to the Mara from the Serengetti, wilderbeast migrating so we headed in front of them to try and get a picture but they all stopped...not because of us, because of the lions. Unfortunately Wilderbeast are attracted to the scent of lions.

We headed off to see a herd of Giraffes when we noticed a lone Wilderbeast becoming confused by the scent of the lions at the back of the heard, we then noticed one of the lions crawling through the grass seperating the beast from the rest of the herd. We waited and watched for about half an hour all the time the lion crawling closer and closer. Then the lion bolted the beast bolted and all the beasts mates legged into the distance, the lion chased and chased and within about 5 or 6 seconds pounced on the back of the wilderbeast and brought it crashing the ground, the other 6 lions and the cubs then came bounding down from their resting place to took into a nice feast of wilderbeast. We cannot believe we sa this event and James said that is one of the rarest sights ever to be seen on Safari, especially during the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb