Last full day at Lake Naivasha


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Naivasha
June 15th 2014
Published: June 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

15 June: Naivasha to Nakuru, Kenya

We had the morning to enjoy another activity if we wanted to. Therefore, after a warm breakfast of scrambled eggs, Samantha, Mark and Julie, Tess and Vicki, and myself did the hippo cruise. Was really nice. The six of us wen on this little boat and went around the lake. We were able to see a great about of hippos. First was a group that had their heads popping up near shore (about 4 of 5), followed by a family later sun bathing on a small little island (about 10-12), then lastly another group huddled together of about 20 where we had one yawn nice and big for the camera (Samantha's amazing photo of this attached). We also saw many birds including then African hawk. Our boats men threw him a nice fish for us to see him fly from the tree and pick it up from the lake to take back to his nest. From here, we continued around the lake and ended up near a little island. Here our boatman told us the island was used for parts of the movies "Out of Africa", "Born Free" and one other I haven't heard of before. They said that they had brought all the animals (zebras, giraffes, and gazelles) to the island for the movies specifically. Once the herds get large, they remove some and place them at Kenya National Park.

Back at camp, we packed up and put away our now dry laundry, enjoyed some lunch and headed for our next campsite. Along the way stopping at the market for some more lunch food. Once at the campsite, we had time to relax. The place was really nice. It had a pool so a few of us enjoyed just placing our feet in the water for a while and then just sat our and enjoyed the sunshine. We all then enjoyed a nice dinner of curry vegetables and rice. This evening, the stars were really out for show. It was amazing to see after living in Singapore becausethere are never many seen there. .


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb