The day after the night before and boat trip


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Naivasha
October 10th 2008
Published: December 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Nick got up early and went cycling around Hells gate National Park, I elected to stay in the tent!!!

I picked my bike, very close to the Raliegh Mustang I had as a wippa snappa (and probably the same size too - i am in Africa!) we entered the park which was a short cycle away from the campsite, the landscape was unreal. The volcano had shaped the rock in mad way. We cycled past Zebras and chased wart hogs trying to see how close we could get to them. About 20k in we jumped of the bike and watched the steam rising from the hydro elec plants on hill sides. Before entering the gorge we removed our shoes to walk through the hot water. We climbed out of the gorge to take in more of the scenery.... see pics. The cycle back to camp was very hot.

In the afternoon we went on a boat trip across the lake, on the way we saw loads of Hippos and got a bit to close to one of the groups. The guide picked this moment to tell us a story where one of the boats had been charged and knocked over by Hippos!!!! The captain as he called himself had brought along some dead fish which at first seemed a rather strange thing to do . He then started whistling and threw them into the water at which point some fish eagles came out of the trees and picked them up from the water which was very cool. We got to the other side of the lake and was taken on a walk to a old crater which was not really worth it. However the walk back was worth it we were surrounded by Giraffes and Zebras and managed to find a dung beetle rolling his dung!! The trip back was quite eventful the other group kept breaking down and at one point we didn't think they were going to make it back!!

After our party night we needed a good nights sleep unfortunately for us it was a national holiday in Kenya and 100's of local arrived too party the night away until 4am. Oh well


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb