HALLOWEEN IN KENYA


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Eldoret
October 28th 2006
Published: November 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

First experience with a jack-o-lantern...First experience with a jack-o-lantern...First experience with a jack-o-lantern...

The party was Andreas' first Halloween and he was particularly intrigued by the jack-o-lanterns...
Well since there is not Halloween in Kenya the ex-pats (or at least a few of them) got together for a small celebration. I mean imagine people here dressing up and knocking on strangers doors - it's odd enough when you think about it in the US but even less of a fit here... so anway, the ex-pats in town got together - Kara and Tomeka hosted the event at their home while Karin carved some pumpkins and we both chipped in by baking sugar cookies and getting Martha Stewart on some of the decorations.

Shawn and Chero brought their kids Imani and Kippy dressed up as a Sweet Ghost and Sponge Bob Square Pants, Andreas who was not sure what to do with the whole event wore his Tigger pajamas while Hal and Mary Anne’s twins Hannah and Katie dressed as gypsies.

Once Kara and Tomeka’s home was decorated and everyone had eaten their fill all the adults scattered around the yard with bags of candy so the kids could come around and Trick-or-Treat. It was pretty cute actually. It was Imani and Kippy’s first Halloween and they really got a kick out of everything. After Trick-or-Treating was
Karin & Tomeka Karin & Tomeka Karin & Tomeka

A pic of Karin (in scary make-up) and Tomeka manning the grill as we waited for the guests to arrive.
done we all gathered in the garage to bob for apples and carve a pumpkin before eating enough sugar to send everyone into a coma.

It was not my typical Halloween, a far more tame and adult evening than I am accustomed to but it was fun especially seeing how much the kids got a kick out of everything.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

in costumein costume
in costume

Hannah, Andreas, Katie, Imani and Kippy dressed in costumes for the festivities.
Bobbing for applesBobbing for apples
Bobbing for apples

Imani's first bobbing for apples experience.
Yes, we do have too much time on our hands...Yes, we do have too much time on our hands...
Yes, we do have too much time on our hands...

You can see from the decorations we spent some of Saturday afternoon that we have too much free time and not enough to fill it with...


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb