Porini Camp: > Amboseli Wildlife National Park


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
October 8th 2016
Published: October 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 2: I heard whistles during the night. Eerie. Found out later that the whistles were to beckon the Maasai warriors if there is a problem. I had a whistle as well. Did not blow it. EVER. It kept getting louder and louder, on the hour. Woke up at 6AM to a rustling at my door. "Hello sir" Hello sir" . "Yes I said please come in" promptly the warrior set down a tray with filtered coffee and cookies as a welcome morning gesture.

What a beginning. 7AM we hopped into the Land Rover and darted off to see the Lions at sunrise. Out and about we went into Lion territory. Deep grass and hidden areas. We past an old Lion kill where we saw the ribs of a Wildebeast lying in the meadow with thousands of flies dancing around. Old stuff. We wanted fresh. . We must be near., dense brush, heavy odors. BINGO! There they were. A pride of five. The male Lion was typically non-chalante in his mannerism, content, satiated, unbothered. I could see the tinted red around his mouth. He hadn't finished cleaning up. In the tall grass we went trying to get a better position for some better photos. . We came upon other Lions in the pride, They were scattered about. Since we were no threat, we were able to sit idly by within 3 metres. Close enough to see into the eyes.



Our journey today took us through small washed out roads, rural villages, with up to 40-50 people I estimate. These Maasai live off the grid. We take for granted their basic needs like water, sewage, heat, shelter, food. No shopping for them.They have to carry in water from afar on a daily basis. So we saw water carriers on bikes,, and motor cycles. It is a basic need they have to repeat on a daily basis. No close wells.Its a very arid time. Rain around the corner,. Trees grow leaves just in time for the rainy season to start, so the leaves can catch the maximum rain they can to hydrate.

We came across huge termite hills galore. Our guide broke off the top of one and said lets come back in an hour and see what happened. Sure enough the Termites were rebuilding the broken part of the nest. You never know what you will come across with natures best.

Today our destination was the Amboseli Nature Park. Gated entry was with an armed guard. In this park because it wasn't part of the Conservatory, we had to stay on the roads. Highlights were the marshes. We saw baby Hippos buried in mud occasionally poking up there little heads to see if mom was still around. Birds rested atop other Hippos, and elephants, swishing their trunks swatting flies as they pulled the lush shoots out of the marshy tract. A lot of micro eco - friendly environments abound, with wild life teaming in all sorts of symbiotic ways. Baboons seem to be scavengers and we see them closer to camps. Social animals that spend the day picking insects off each others bodies. Giraffes in the distance. They are skittish and they are wary. If they see something they hold their gaze and don't move for along time. Flamingos, thousands off in the distance. We cannot approach. Zebras munching away. We wandered the day away. Of course our guides Nelson and Richard the Maasai prepared a picnic for us. With a picture perfect scene that seems to go on and on. Every where we turned we saw either drama or visual effects from the wind kicking up dust devils in random areas. They looked like dust twisters but on a clear day. I wonder if they are strong enough to pick up small animals. It is a way of life that there are perils each way you turn. A harsh environment at its best.



We were led to a look out on a hilltop where we had a 360 degree view of the National Pack and met up with the translucent Starlings that we so revered earlier. These birds were wiley, when we looked away they would dart in and try to steal our food. Perfect for me. I was able to snap some action shots up close of these special birds.. Don't turn your back or your food will be gone!.

I had to pee along the way. You can't get out to pee. Not safe, so I had to hold it in until it was safe. Told Nelson about it and he said we have to check the tires as a code to say we were stopping because he thought we had a flat. Relief ahhhhhhh.

Later we came across a family of elephants softly putting one foot in front of the other crossing the road in front of us. A magical moment. Silent beasts, slow gaited. Not a care in this protected territory. A 2 hour drive back , we were exhausted. Suffice to say the 1400 pics I took today tells the story of our journey. Golden hour time at the water hole. Elephants again. A perfect backdrop to the sunset. The wife needed a shower. I needed a drink. The dust creeps in everywhere. A campfire ending to another day.



Tomorrow we fly back to Niarobi then another 45 minute flight to the Porini rhino camp.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



31st October 2016
Flaming Out

Just wonderful!
Walter, your pictures and stories with it are just wonderful, almost surreal because they seem right out of a Kenia-picturebook!! Thank you a lot for sharing those moments and your indeed very artistic pictures - I love it!! All the best! Patricia

Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0921s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb