Entering Jurrasic Park


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
October 7th 2016
Published: October 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

In one day and out of Nairobi the next. No time to visit the city. Perhaps on the way back.It was an exciting day. We did not know what to expect. We arrived at Wilson airport, for our short-hopper and were promptly met with a boarding pass. Ushered through security, though a waiting room, directly onto the tarmac, weaving in and out through parked planes, until we saw our little Cessna. Peter, our pilot greeted us. We flew for 40 minutes at 9500 feet across the tundra in Kenya.

As in the movies, I was looking down, hoping to see herds of animals. Migrations maybe. We were to high up. So I snapped up some pics of the distant views as well as the views of the surrounding, changing eye-catching vistas. What a surreal feeling, finally living through the books that I read by Wilbur Smith and others.

As we descended we could make out the rugged land finally, and were now able to discern the topography a little better. Landing on a dirt runway we were greeted by the Maasai warriors. They were our guides for the day. Within 5 minutes we spotted Maasai Giraffes in the near distance. To our surprise, Nelson our Maasai warrior guide mentioned that before check-in we were going game driving. WHAT!! Was I ready. You bet.

We went off road to chase the Giraffes. On the way, through the dust, off to the side, we spotted small Antelope, Kudu. These magnificent beasts were crossing our path to get out of our way as we meandered off road towards the Giraffes. Wildlife everywhere. There were magnificent, what looked like blue translucent Starlings, that catch the sun. They actually seem like they are shimmering.We caught up to the Reticulated Giraffes which were skittish and galloped off as we approached, I clicked, and clicked away with the camera, not wanting to miss a moment. Their gaits were elegant and easy. Our driver knew how to manouevre for the best pics and we pulled out around them to catch the best light. On we went. We spotted next a running Ostrich out in the open. Zebras aplenty, elephants, Elands,. It was like a bouquet of flowers opening slowly in front of you. A constantly receiving gift. As you are parting to head off, you were discovering new blooms. ALL THIS BEFORE 8:30 AM.




We

kept on , and followed our instincts, but with no direction in mind. Being on a Conservatory, we were not hobbled to the road. The Maasai warriors have the right to drive off road , respecting the terrain and the animals well being, we always made sure the animals were not stressed by our presence. As we meandered towards some trees we spotted Gerenuk which look like a Gazelle standing up on its hind legs, stretching out to reach the succulent branches of leaves . It was a funny sight, watching these animals thinned out, upwards reaching with their mouth for food. Then another did the same thing. As long as we kept our distance there was no bother. Click click.


By 10:30 we stopped for tea and coffee at the watering hole just before arriving at our Porini Camp. We had a safe viewing platform with a roof as shelter from the sun. Just as we arrived, a family of Baboons were scurrying away because Elephants were lumbering up for a mud bath in time to cool off. Temperature was arising pretty fast. My two companions and I were full of red dust and we needed to

have some liquid. As we cooled off, the Elephants were frolicking in the pool , spraying and drinking, and churning up the watering hole. The antics of the little ones were a sight to see. We were explained that the little tuskers were actually about three years old. They stayed a while then began to depart. It seems like there is a line-up of sorts. First the Baboons, then the Elephants, next came the sole Giraffe, which was waiting patiently for its turn to enjoy a drink.


As she hesitantly came over, she was at her most vulnerable when she drinks. It was an awkward moment for her, warily looking left and right, as she spread her legs apart and gingerly drooped her neck, all the while getting closer to the water so she could lick her tongue into the water every 5 seconds, then look up and do it again. There were birds on her back pecking away at insects, probably gnats. I noticed the same thing with birds on the other animals as well. Baboons watched in the distance.




After coffee, we checked into our camp and were introduced to our tent for the

next 2 days. Being eco-friendly, the camp had solar heating, contained sewage, recycling. Our hot water for showers consisted of a cistern 20 litre tank that gets filled up when we are ready to take our shower with warm water by hand. It is then pullied up a pole to a height of about 20 feet, for the gravity effect, so that we had a 5 minute shower. A car battery under our sink was linked to the solar panel out our door to provide the light we needed after dark. We listened to the wild life around us and realized we had arrived at Jurrasic park.


Mid day is quiet time for all. For me , I was pumped I wanted to explore. We were told not to wander off to far. We were explained that we were the prey, and the predators were all around us. We were safe high up in the Land Rover, we were safe in our tents, and we were safe around the Maasai warriors. We were not safe if we were not guarded, since there are no barriers to keep the animals out. I needed to rethink this trip. NOT!!!




I was ready for the next game drive with an impatience, and an eagerness, so I looked for a low hanging tree I could climb and sit around safely scanning the terrain. I sat like Tarzan, watching and listening. 30 mins. Later I alight to the ground and walk some more, forever listening for breaking branches. I met a Maasai warrior and he walked with me and we talked as we walked. We heard a "SNAP". "An elephant" he said. "Do not explore on foot" We backed away. Later on the way to our next game drive we met up with that wrinkly 40 year old brute, passing by him.




We started out for a visit to a real Maasai village, to begin the rest of the day. As we walked, the Maasai warriors stopped and broke apart a termites nest to show us the inner construction of an elaborate ventilation system the termites constructed to cool the nest lower in the ground. The Maasai warrior said that in an hour , when we return from the village the termites will be hard at work by the thousands repairing the breach in the nest. Sure enough when

we finally returned we were witnessing the termites hard at work finalizing the closure.


We were greeted as we arrived at the village by walking into an enclosure that was bordered by spiked Acacia branches. These were to keep out the unwanted. A simple use of material around the Savanna. The elegant women and children greeted us. We stepped up to them and said the word "Supa" (Hi) to each one of them and shook there hand. We went down the line until we reached the children, from the tallest to the smallest and patted each child on the head and as well said "Supa" As we scanned the village we noticed that their huts we low to the ground. No higher than 6 feet. The women construct the huts over a two month period usually. They are made using the surrounding cow dung and twigs to bind the material together. What we saw was a semi-waterproof hut that upon further glance showed that it was indeed a sturdy abode. These huts , when we walked in are very dark inside with narrow slits for windows and ventilation. A separate sleeping area in the back, a little corridor,

a cooking area , was all that was needed. Furnished minimally, it seemed to serve well, for the Maasai. As I left I stooped low again so I did not hit my head, and out into the sunshine, where we were given a demonstration on how to make a fire by spinning a rod into a piece of hardwood where the heat ignited some moss. Who needs matches. A farewell by the Maasai women singing a song for us. It felt sincere and a way of thanks for us taking the time to get to know them abit. No one sold us anything. Relaxed , down to earth, genuine.


We ended the evening, meandering around, and lo and behold , our first sunset of the sun being cradled over an Acacia tree.With a red spotlight so as not to blind the animals and cause them panic, we finally made it back to the waterhole watching other animals doing their thing.






















Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb