Nairobi


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
December 26th 2009
Published: April 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Nairobi is a short direct flight away from India. We landed in Nairobi early in the morning and had full day to see the city before flying off to Kilimanjaro. We dod something we usually don't do, talked to a cab driver and took his offer to show us the city for the day at fixed price. Its a typical recipe for getting ripped off, robber etc. etc. We still did it, I think we did go through some fixed office at airport. This was a good decision (not necessarily a recommended one).

We first visited a reptile zoo as everything else was still closed in the morning. I really liked it due to my fascination with snakes. There were snakes of all colours and sizes, and also some big boa constrictors and pythons. There was also a place where you could hold a big live snake. I did that though unfortunately I cannot find the photo 😞 Next we went to a giraffe feeding center. It was my first view of these magnificent animals. This was a nice and relaxing place. Then we hung around to have some nice food and then waited for village market to open. The market was good, the usual place with bunch of handicraft things. Had a nice time walking around there.


January 10th



On the way back also we stopped by Nairobi for a day. We did the same, took a 1 day taxi to look around. But this was not so good experience. The driver took us to some fancy eating place where food was over-priced and nothing was vegetarian. We pretended to like some traditional Kenyan food. The highlight of this was a big party of an Indian family there.

Then he said he will show us some wooden toy making "factory", which happened to be closed. So we did not really see anything. Then finally he took us to this exhibition which had exhibits from all sorts of small village lives in Kenya. This was kind of interesting. There were huts of various tribes. The huts were labeled - 1st wife's, 2nd wife's ..., kind of funny 😊. It was lot of walking and we were already quite tired from all the hiking and safari, so we did not really see all of it. The evening ended with some folk dancing which was quite good. We could not see all of it because of flight time, but it was finally worth it.

We were back to airport, and then finally back to India. End of a really perfect trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb