Goodbye Uganda - Hello Kenya


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
May 27th 2010
Published: June 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast Francis meets us to take us to the post office to send back all our souvenirs acquired so far and also my boots now that they have done their job I’m glad to be rid of them!

We then fly to Nairobi, Kenya for our stay at the Giraffe Manor. We are sitting next to a guy who is involved in Security in Kenya and he was nice enough to write down not only a lot of things to do in Nairobi, but also restaurants, his car driver’s phone number in case we don’t have anyone to meet us and to top it off, he wrote down his mobile number in case we got stuck at any time! Truly, this is the continent that believes in ‘kindness to strangers’! He also warned of the unfortunate risks in Nairobi, mainly petty crime due to the poverty. So, windows up and lock doors when we are in traffic etc.

KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED & WINDOWS UP!

When we get to Nairobi there is a driver from Giraffe Manor waiting for us, much to our relief!

He is really lovely and points bits and pieces out along the way, including the 2nd largest slum in Africa; South Africa unfortunately has the biggest. The roads and driving conditions (including the driving style!) are so much better than Uganda. We were constantly told that they would be a lot worse, so it was a pleasant surprise.

We got there right on peak hour, so the trip along the freeway is a slow one. Even our driver wound the windows up and locked all the doors - including ours!

There were hawkers at the slowest part where we actually would come to a stop or crawl along. They were selling EVERYTHING, they were like a mobile $2 shop combined with a Coles Supermarket. You could anything from fruit (bananas and pineapple were the most common) to hazard signs for when your car breaks down, passport holders, plastic containers stacked up, sunglasses and phone chargers (obviously one size fits all). All of a sudden they all start running away in the one direction; we immediately think there’s a riot or shooting ahead! But in fact it was a member of the council who will fine them if he catches them, and the fine is worth 3 times as much as
3. Bound for Mombasa3. Bound for Mombasa3. Bound for Mombasa

These buses will pile anything and everyhting on - no such thing as too full
one stack of Tupperware! The council worker doesn’t wear a uniform so they won’t know and he can catch them, but they all know who they are!

GIRAFFE MANOR

We get to Giraffe Manor and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!! It looks exactly as it does in photo’s, usually photo’s are done at the perfect time, at a perfect angle and perhaps photo shopped to give it that extra tweak. The building itself is very old worldly classic, 2 stories with creeper covering much of, windows that open outwards; there were warthogs walking around on the lawn and giraffes just standing around, words just can’t do it justice.

TIME TO MEET THE RESIDENTS

We are met on arrival by Giles, who together with his wife Jess (now 6 months pregnant, what a great place to be a child growing up!) mange the lodge. He gets the formalities over nice and quick, signing of the disclaimer that if we are injured by a giraffe they take no responsibility, the rules (not to go off the lawn area in front of the lodge without an escort) and then he introduces us to our first giraffe, Lyn. He opens the front
4. Petrol price in Nairobi4. Petrol price in Nairobi4. Petrol price in Nairobi

$1 AUD = 1,600 Kenyan schilling
door, and she just sticks her head right in! We give her pellets and she is happy to stay as long as the pellets last. She even has a party trick in that she will catch the pellets if you throw them into her mouth, this is the best fun!

They also have a 6 month old puppy who chases all the warthogs around, hilarious to watch. Ever since the house has been there, there have always been dogs. They’ve had everything from Jack Russels to Dobermans, this one is very much a bitsa. First Giles says to us when we pat her and say how much we like dogs is that she is NOT to come in the house - it’s almost like he knows something…

Then we get a tour. It used to be the actual home of the person who started the giraffe conservation and education program, so it’s basically still set up to an extent as a house. Downstairs is the entry foyer, a lounge/sitting area with a big fireplace, the dining room where the giraffes join you in the morning and also where we have lunch and a formal dining room where all the guests are joined by Giles and Jess for a group dinner around one long table. There are only 6 rooms so there will never too many guests at once. They will also set up a private candlelit table outside if you want something more intimate. We decide tonight we will dine with everyone and tomorrow we will be romantic! Upstairs are most of the bedrooms, ours is in the front corner, it’s a great room with 2 beds with mosquito nets over each, a fireplace, an ensuite bathroom with a huge bath - brilliant!

Before we know it, it’s time for pre dinner drinks in the sitting room where we meet the other guests. We get chatting with a nice American couple and there’s also an Australian couple, they seemed to be the classic Aussies, she was great for a chat and he had loads of good stories to tell. They had obviously been together for a long time as she was able to finish his sentences and his stories!

UNBELIEVABLE SERVICE

We thought the service at Gorah Elephant Camp was good, but here service is amazing, you are never left wanting for anything, there is always someone asking if you need anything. They even offer to do all our laundry (at no cost), and we have loads!

At dinner the dining room is all lit by candles and it makes you want to go home and disconnect all the lights! Dinner is a set 3 course meal, with warm bread rolls and they even have allowed for me and I have a special vege menu. The food is spot on, and the conversation is good, so all in all a very enjoyable meal.

After dinner there is coffee/tea in the sitting room with the fire place roaring.

THEY EVEN REMEMBERED OUR HONEYMOON!

When we go back to our room, we walk in and there are rose petals and candles on the floor of the bathroom and a hot bubble bath with rose petals floating in it, more candles around it and a bottle of champagne (another one that we won’t drink). It’s so nice, it’s the first real honeymoony thing that’s been done for us.

They have made our room up for the night, even making the 2 beds, pulling the mosquito nets around both and putting hot water bottles in both. The mosquito nets, as romantic as they seem, are actually practical as the mosquitos are horrendous in Nairobi.

It is a very relaxed sleep that follows, dreaming of what was to come tomorrow…



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb