The Southern Cross Begins...


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
March 16th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our home for 5 weeks!Our home for 5 weeks!Our home for 5 weeks!

Sometimes it was cold, sometimes it was boiling and sometimes it was very wet- but we loved it. Our number 4 tent.
So it's been a really long while since ive had the chance to update this, today is not actually the 16th of March and i'm not in Kenya but i thought I'd start at the correct date and start from the beginning.

Southern Cross- Absolute Africa Safari, 33 days Nairobi to Johannesburg


So we actually arrived in Nairobi on the Friday the 13th after flying Ethiopian Airways from Addis Ababa, but the tour only started on the Monday so we stayed in The Heron Hotel until then. We enjoyed really tasty food in the restaurant and lounging by the pool for most of saturday then the mad task of packing all Sunday!
We had been wondering all the time, 'i wonder who else is on the tour with us' because everyone fitted into the catergorie of 45-65 year old dressed head to toe in safari gear with the tiniest of bags on their back. Surely these guys weren't coming with us??
Well we met 6 of our crew that monday ion reception, 2 couples from kiwi, one middle aged guy from good old England and a beach blonde babe from Oz. Me and Alli well and truly felt young. Everyone else seemed to be atleast in their late 20's and conversation was a bit awkward until this HUGE giant yellow truck appeared in the drive.
Now when I say huge i mean an HGV carrying a load of people instead of goods. It was a physical leap up into the monster and from the window it felt like we were miles high looking down on those tiny cars.

Today was not the best start to the trip, the plan was to drive for about 10 hours straight! But being stuck on a truck we were soon watching everyone intensely- trying to work out who everyone was and what role they played- we still felt really quite young.

So the first day was a quiet one, and driving for so long was a bit annoying but upon our arrival we were given the grand tour of the bus and show how to master the skill of putting up the tent we would live in for the next 5 weeks.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb