Hello from Mummy Blogger


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
June 3rd 2007
Published: June 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The best hug in the world from Tamsin when I arrived in Nairobi. Having seen Leigh off on his flight we were driven into Nairobi for an over night stay before we had our one day tour round the city and various sites.
We were shown the central buildings of nte and where the US Embassy was until 1998 when it was blown up. Not a paricularly inspiring city.

Our first animal visit was to an elephant sanctuary where all the babies they rescue from the wild are kept and tended until they can be reintroduced into the wild. This can take a staggering 3-8 years. The babies are adorable walking around with their blankets (usually they would have gained their warmth from the mother), playing football (to give them play and stimulation) and the older ones downing their bottles of milk in 20 seconds flat. A really worthwhile project.
The next place we went I was less enamoured with (RSPCA horns appearing).They keep an endangered species of giraffe (there are three kinds of giraffe), the Rothschilds and though it was fun to feed them I felt they were compromised for tourist reasons.

Our last call of the
baby with blanketbaby with blanketbaby with blanket

The carers have to change round regularly so the elephant doesn't indentify with them and think they are 'mummy'
day was to the 'I had a house in Hafrica' famous house ie Meryl Streep and Robert Redford film 'Out of Africa'. Helen Blixin who was the lady the film was based on had this house which had been renovated with money from a Danish Foundation. It was interesting to see the way they lived in the tropics the first half of the 20th century. The gentleman who showed us round looked as if he had been around since that time!!

We didn't hit the night spots in the evening as we were told not to go out after dark. This was to be the story for the whole tripl In the city it was undesirable populace. Anywhere else it was the assortment of wild animals!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

CheersCheers
Cheers

By 9 months they are feeding themselves - very very quickly
Iris and Rothschild giraffeIris and Rothschild giraffe
Iris and Rothschild giraffe

they are different from other kinds in that they have white legs
I had a house in HafricaI had a house in Hafrica
I had a house in Hafrica

First line of Karen Blixin's book and Meryl Streep's memorable 'accent'.


Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 65; dbt: 0.179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb