Time Flies By


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Mombasa
February 24th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi peeps, hows it hanging.

I can't believe i am writing this 5 days after my last one, sorry to not be upto date but even more so i cant believe i arrived in Mombasa a full 6 weeks ago, meaning i am half way through now! Scary but also good how easy it has become. The last week has flown by in a haze of fun and frollics. And it is of these i shall inform you of now, like so.

Since the last entry it has been a pretty chilled out yet still hectic packed and fun week. In temrs of going out after work, we have done a lot less the last fortnightbut we still managed to head out to Il Covo for Louisas birthday which was nice, i opted for the more culturally exciting Margherita Pizza, have you heard of them? Quite nice actually.

New girl Erin arrived this week, and Signe week before and they are both pretty nice, older than me but cool as. Both at Dicksons sorry, loadsa other people arrived since too, but i can't remember everyone, new people arriving is part of what goes on now, whereas at the beginning it was more exciting. Still good to meet new people though, especially been as most of the people who were to begin with have gone, sob..

Orphanage grows ever better all the time, especially in tmers of relationships with the little ones. Mosa smiles all the time, had a massive grin from yesterday morning when i came down the steps, he smiles so much more now i reckon, and less of his temper tantrums which used to be pretty frustrating, he would just go limp and kick around, you couldn't even put him down, but it seems to be not do it anymore which is great. Got some great videos and pictures this week too, will be sending a post of cards and picture cds home monday so should be home within 1 to 2 weeks.

Classes are working out much better too, signe doing English while i get on with Maths which gives me time to prepare more, or even(shock horror) have a small, not intended, im sorry, Nap. But i have been able to something other than times tables this week, managed to do fractions which was good, slightly more opportunity for them to get involved, writing on the board and i cut out some shapes too. Really frustrates me at the moment, we have Judy and Awino in my class, who are no where near good enough to be. Awino cant read english and Judy needs special attention because she simply does no work. So stupid, how the teacher Rebecca thinks i can teach a kid to read while teaching the rest of them at the same time is beyond me. I dont know how to do the first part!!!

Really good to play with the little ones more, the housemothers aren't as prickly about cleaning and i have become closer to them more now. Mwangi and Mosa continue to look proud when they pee themselves and tell me, Manu just pees himself. Once this week, ALLLL Over me. Which was nice.

Went to Fontanellas thursday just for a drink with people from the other volunteer house, was nice but slightly scary when some bloke approached me offering to walk us home, on the basis i had 'misbehaved'. He was basically drunk and annoyed because he had been refused when he offered to buy the girls a drink. But he wouldnt give specifics of how i offended him, apart from it was in the bathroom. I didn't know peeing in a toilet was immoral in Kenya. But yeah, the bar staff all came out too, made it worse cos there was a fuss but we got a matatu and it was fine so, Hakuna Matata.

Classes went really well this week also in terms of how good vincent was, second week in a row he has been good in most of the lessons, showing signs he can actually concentrate!Harder when they moved the two girls in the class though, more kids for him to fight with. Nick razorblades off(they use them for sharpening, even though we have pencil sharpeners!!Awino even cried when Signe took hers off her the other day.!!)

Going to Church with the kids tommorow i think then taking the Boys to whitesands(a posh hotel with loads of Pools and slides) hopefully. I am looking forward to both apprehensivley to both, more so apprehensive about the church, as the Centre is very very fundamentalist/Traditional i i don't really submit to that , not that i really know what i believe in yet, but it was just a bit awkward trying to explain to Ruth(Who is a lovely lady, but she asked me, So, Do You Believe in God?) that i didnt really pray much, and didn't read the bible, and she didn't understand what i was trying to say in that you can pray by trying just to make a difference and thinking about how to achieve this. So i hope it won't be too over the top or pressureized but whatever its an experience.

Looked for a Safari today also, going to do 4 days- Masai Mara 2 nights and Lake Nakuru for 2 day, found it for 360 dollars, bargain, sounds good enough plus it is supposed to be next a lodge, where we can use the pool! Cheap as chips. Will make sure to check it out though Mum- dont worry!! Also went to visit Shona in hospital, she had her appendix removed two days ago- pretty scary thing in foreign country!!She seemed fine though but she cant fly home for ten days i think so she has to rest for a bit, gutting to miss so much of project but better than Burst appendix i am sure.

I think i have not much left to say, or more properly, i have little left to say that i can remember. Off for Poker night on ze rooftop, should be exceeleent.

Tutaonana
Lloyd

Advertisement



24th February 2007

Tempus Fugit here too
Great to speak to you today , what a time you are a having !!!
24th February 2007

Cut off in my prime !
I hadn't finished talking ( not like me eh !) i must have pressed a send key inadvertently! As i was saying, lovely to hear you voice today..you seem to be speaking faster than ever, how on earth do they understand you lol !!!!!!!! We can't wait to see you and hear all the stories of your adventures and successes in person. The blog is great in keeping us up to date for the time being. Keep smiling ...keep safe ..love ya lots xxxxxxx
25th February 2007

fun at the beach?
Hey Lloyd. Hope you had fun at the beach today with the boys. How was the church service? Mum said you've booked a safari for next weeked.........awesome!!! If you are lucky enough to spot the Big Cats don't forget to take some photos for your cat mad godmother. Take care. Thinking of you .. lots. Luv ya xxx By the way, is it raining there yet?
27th February 2007

from rain soaked Port Talbot
Hi Lloyd, Greetings and admiration from all at Glan Afan, enjoying your blog and reading about your adventures. Keep your eye open for any good footballers - the Swans could do with them at the moment! Perhaps you could take photos of local art work and textile patterns for us at school - it would be very much appreciated! See you when you return, all the best

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb