on the island of Lamu


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Lamu
May 3rd 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

(Ruta writing) I was not prepared for the beautiful Indian ocean beaches on the eastern coast of Kenya. Near the Somali border is the capticating town of Lamu. Because the town has preserved its Swahili and Arab culture and architecture so well, it is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Walking through the incredibly narrow streets, as tourist guides promise, it does feel that you are in a different world. The Muslim women are mostly covered completely (which has to be stifling and uncomfortable in the high heat). There are only about 3 cars on the whole island so 3000 donkeys transport people and goods. The architecture is mostly from the 18th century and includes carved plaster and ornate window and door frames. The Arab section of town has 3 main groupings of 40 individual houses that are all connected. The doors are big, thick and elaborately carved.

We were fortunate to rent a charming Arabic house. It had 2 huge open rooms, per the local style, with an outside thatched roof kitchen, courtyard with garden and rooftop terrace. We lament that our Addis Ababa courtyard is completely paved in concrete, so this wonderful Lamu green courtyard was a pure joy. The rooftop terrace at night showed millions of stars - amazing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb