What it is like to be “Overseas”


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Tamale
November 10th 2006
Published: November 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post



It is one thing to be overseas in terms of actually over an ocean away from your home country, but the overseas I am talking about is just as out of reach, out of mind and out of sight.

The “overseas” areas I am talking about are here, contained in Ghana, but for me specifically in East Gonja. There are no seas or oceans that run through Ghana, but when the rainy season hits Ghana it cuts off communities from their District Assembly (local government), and roads to market and hospital facilities. The rainy season is usually from May until July or August, and during this time the river levels rise, the low areas fill with water and communities are cut off. Then in East Gonja, there are areas that are divided literally by the Volta River that cuts off a large section of East Gonja all year round. These parts of the District are accessible in 3 possible ways - 1. Cross the River in a Ferry that is very old and anytime will be on its last run, 2. Cross the river in a canoe (with your motorbike too), 3. Drive around the lake through other Districts taking hours to get to communities on the other side.

Image in Welland that we had no bridge across the canal; we had to drive to St. Catharine’s to Fort Erie and back into Welland to get to the other side, except none of the roads were paved and you only had a motorcycle. This is the reality of field workers and government workers here in East Gonja. Imagine trying to schedule a project, or field visit during this time of year. It makes it nearly impossible during these months to mobilize to these communities. Now imagine you were a farmer going to market, only had a bicycle, or a bucket to carry on your head.

My family in Tamale comes from Sung, a small village in Tolon just north of Tamale. For them going to the village during the rainy season means hiking in knee deep water for an hour, then getting into a canoe and finally getting to the bank and then walk again to the village. I have never been as it has been the rainy season the whole time, and they do not think I can endure the trip. I think they are right.

I cannot even begin to imagine living in one of these communities and the difficulties during these months. Being overseas for me is one thing, but being overseas and cut off in your own country is a struggle that I will never fully understand.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb