Gone to Ghana: My African Adventures


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Teshie
November 28th 2014
Published: November 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

November 28, 2014



You would be surprised with how exhausting sitting around waiting at a hospital can be. When the children get really sick the volunteers take them to the hospital. I’ve gone quite a few times already. Unfortunately the children get hurt or sick too often. Today Josephine (from Germany) and I took Ema, my baby, and Cephas. Ema is not yet 3, so he had several tantrums. First time I’ve had a child in public throw a tantrum. It made me wonder if that’s what my parents felt like once. They went yesterday to get blood tests done and they were at the hospital with Anniek (from Holland) all day long. Today we were there for only about 4 and a half hours. I’ve waited for about 6 hours once. That’s just the way things are here. Today we were supposed to pick up the results of the blood tests, but when we got there they hadn’t done them yet. We had to wait for about 2 and half hours for them to get those done before getting on line to actually see the doctor. The thing with hospitals here is that they make you pick up one piece of paper in one place, then go somewhere else to do something with that paper, and then go back to the first place to pay for what’s done with that piece of paper. They don’t even let you pay at the first place before you go to the other place. Hospitals in Ghana could use some serious streamlining. Both boys are okay, but they have to take some medicine.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb