Recovery


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
March 19th 2006
Published: April 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dragged myself out of bed in the afternoon and got myself back down to Osu to buy a charger for my gadgets. I'd found one the previous day in a camera shop which would do it but didn't want to carry it around all day. I bumped into the yannks playing Jazz from the previous night and got chatting about what they were doing and what I was doing and they'd done the boat trip up the Volta Lake recently and told me the guide book was wrong about the times. The ferry leaves in the afternoon, not the morning, so could leave the next day and get it. In the camera shop I got chatting to a Indian girl from London who was there with her Ghanian boyfriend, she said she loved it, but was really just there to drink and have a good time. Like most people she knew nothing about the eclipse, but she gave me a tip on her favourite beer.

I got my charger and went back up to the food court to wait for the girls; we'd arranged to meet up at 4.30pm for lunch. They turned up just after, not looking their best, but then it was a long night. We ordered pizza and Jo came over for a while too. That is a girl on a mission, she's heading to South Africa overland and has done 8 months already, then shes heading back north to Tanzania. I hope she makes it through Nigeria ok because its not the quietest place in the world at the moment. Her and Pam were living with some Rasta guy and his family, and its not very good to turn up in the morning and sleep all day :p She was going to see the eclipse in Accra because she was staying to do a couple of week volunteering.

Jo left and the three of us went and surfed for an hour while we waited for the sushi place to open at 7.30pm. When we got back there the owners were at the door, shrugged and indicated they were closed. Damn. We wandered down to the other sushi place, sat down and looked at the menu, but it was so stupidly expensive we didn't feel any shame in getting up and leaving. Im sure the staff were happy to go back to sitting around listening to music as they were when we came in and interrupted them. No rice and fish for us then so we went and sat at the container bar again and had a beer. Some guys car started burning across the road which was some entertainment, but it was a fairly quiet night. The girls chatted to a Danish girl next to us for a while, I sat there not getting a word.

A group of Americans sat next to us too, I could have sworn they were English because they all looked like a bunch of Chavvy hooligans, but I guess I wasn't too far off the mark. Tua spoke to one of them in the queue for the toilet and wasn't very happy when she wouldn't repeat the phrase 'God bless America' which they were getting the local boys to say. God bless Africa I say, America has run out of blessings. Seems like they were a bunch of soliders on leave and off on an adventure, of course there were 6 of them, heaven forbid they should be able to go abroad on their own or in a pair, anything could happen... like you might not be able to insult the locals or act like dicks because there aren't enough of you.

We tried the beer recommended to by the London girl, although the waitress tried to put me off by telling us it was only 1% alcohol when the girls were in the toilet. They looked stunned when they came back and I told them, low alcohol drinks are like poison to your average alcoholic swede! The drinks came and we we relieved to learn this gordons spark 'beer' was 5.5% after all. We were not so happy to find it was a gin based alcopop! Ugh! We needed another 2 beers to get rid of the taste. It was going to be an early night though as sundays are always quiet in ghana and we all had to get up and moving in the morning.

The girls were still hungry though, so we drank up and went over the road to the burger place, for a burger... hmmm, they'd ran out of burgers. It would have to be Frankies then up the road, a favourite with locals, and not run by Ghanians so we had a good chance of getting served in a resonable time frame, ie our lifetime. The American GIs were sitting outside, we walked past them and up the stairs, and then rather strangley one of them shouted out 'F**k Swedish!', Anna instantly shouted back 'F**k America!' and we carried on up the stairs laughing. How bizarre!

Frankie's is run by Libyans or some such middle eastern country so we all order Falafel's with hummus as a side dish cos the girls said they were too dry. The hummus came first which we then ate and had to order another! They're too efficient! Two big buses pulled up and about 40 teenagers came in with their teachers, the majority of boys in kilts. God knows what they were doing there, Anna and Tua were most intrigued, but not enough to start chatting them up, they looked about 14. The Americans were no longer hanging about outside, it was midnight and time to get some sleep. The girls were also getting the ferry the next day, but staying with their friend who worked in the American embassy. Nice to have a maid to wash your clothes isn't it?!? I said I would meet them on the boat before it sailed at 5pm and we got taxis home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb