Tro-Tro


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tro’s through an Obroni Eye.

A far cry from anything I have ever experienced back home in the UK or anywhere else in the world for that matter, the Tro-Tro system here in Ghana is that of mind-boggling.

The typical Tro-Tro, is a far cry from the buses back home, but they are not without their charms. It is remarkable that these buses are still in transit, a vehicle that is long past its best and often are without what we Obroni’s take for granted.

When I say taking for granted, by no means do I mean, luxury comforts such as Air Conditioning, no I mean the basic essentials: Drivers Safety Mirrors or simply a door?
These traits of a tro add to the affectionate and enjoyment of making the journey.

On boarding the vehicle after the calls of ‘Obroni’ and witnessing many hand signals, indicating the routes or the mate echoing, ‘Accra, Accra’ you clamber through the already crowded tro and attempt to find a seat. This often consists of either being sandwiched between two ladies either gossiping in Tew or welcoming you to the country, sharing your seat with a young child that can not help but stroke your face or simply have to wake your fellow passenger in order to leave.

The adventure doesn’t stop there, where else in the world can you do your shopping whilst sat on a bus? Street Hawkers selling anything from Bread to Water, Torches to Call Credit, it is a common and wonderful affair, seeing all kinds of goods being passed through windows of a tro-tro and sellers running along side the bus still managing to balance a huge load of produce on their heads.

When looking at the condition of the tro’s, you get the impression they are unlikely move quickly. How wrong could one be the drivers weave in and out of traffic, passing cyclist and the common stray goat on the roadside, whilst constantly beeping their horn.

One vital tip for a journey on the tro-tro, is being sure the ‘mate’ is aware of your bus top. These hectic characters fly through the tro collecting money, and occasionally “misplacing” your change. If you are not loud enough calling, you simply miss your stop. However saying that most people on the tro, make it their duty to make sure the “Obroni” gets off at the correct place, often shouting at the poor driver and his mate.

Things are that unbelievable, Obroni’s joke that the first Ghanaian Space Shuttle should be a Tro, no doubt the ‘mate’ will be hanging on shouting “moon, moon”


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb