Greetings from Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
October 4th 2008
Published: October 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thursday: Greetings from the Motherland! My 12 member travel team identified as "Private Collection" arrived safely in Accra on Thursday at 7:40am. Immigration & customs were uneventful, although we carried donations of clothing, shoes and school supplies for a local orphanage and Freeman Memorial Methodist Church students.
Friday: Yesterday was an exciting adventuresome, informative day in Accra. We departed our hotel at 9am(5am EST) touring the WEB DuBois home and burial site, The Ghana Museum, The Arts Centre and The Dr. Kwame Nkrumah Center(museum/burial site/book store & beautiful park) I learned a lot today about details of both DuBois and Nkrumah's lives. The DuBois facility was his actual home in Accra, along with his now departed wife, Shirley. There were many photos, personal belongings, original writings and awards/recognitions. The Nkrumah experience was revealing regarding his relationship, admiration & respect for and with Dr. DuBois. Our final stop on Friday, after touring several older sections of Accra (Danish/British), was the Arts Centre. Every Ghananian craft known was available as the hawkers heard the American voices...they came. We are planning to spend an entire day at the Arts Centre on Monday, Oct. 13th.
We ended our day after a buffet dinner which included local fish, foo-foo, white rice, palava sauce(made with spinach & palm oil) fried plantains, bottle water and ice cream, by gathering in the largest room, talking and dancing to all of the shuffles and slides (cupid/Mississippi/Electric). The fellowship was very spirited, full of fun and laughter as we replayed our day's travels and experiences in Ghana.
Saturday: We are departing Accra at 7am for a 3 hr. trek to the Volta Region of Ghana to attend a Durbar(celebration) at Ho and on Sunday to take the day cruise at Akobasombo.
I miss you all and will be in touch soon.

Advertisement



4th October 2008

Good News
I continue to pray for you journey. It sounds like you are having a great time. Too much fun. The food described sounds to like the food we eat in the Virgin Islands. Enjoy and if you come across a refrigerator magnet of Ghana, please bring it for me. I love collecting them, even if I haven't visited the country yet. It will inspire me. God Bless you and thanks for sharing your experiences as they happen.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb