Dam, plus Freud's In-law's Baby's Palms


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Eastern » Koforidua
October 27th 2008
Published: October 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello Again!

It's Monday morning. Again. I'm always off to a slow start on Mondays. I slept in, poked around my room, picked up some reading for class, and made my way to the computers. Then it's off to Joshua's (as usual) and class in the evening. That's it for today.

This weekend was nice. I traveled to Akosombo (Eastern region, two or three hours by trotro) with Eric, Sammy, and Rachel. We left midday Friday, took a trotro to Tema and another trotro from Tema to Akosombo, found a hotel in Atimpoku (near Akosombo), went for a walk across a pretty little suspension bridge, took pictures, had dinner, and hung out in the hotel talking for a few hours. Saturday we got up around 8am, crossed the street to the trotro station and bought a loaf of bread and some hard boiled eggs (with "pepper" which is a yummy, red, spicy sauce). We made egg sandwiches for breakfast before taking a taxi to the dam. There were some politics involved in getting up to the dam for a tour. We had to go to a nearby building to pay for the tour and then there was confusion about whether or not the guards were trying to rip us off by charging us for a ride up to the dam (you can't walk because you can't travel unescorted). Eric and Sammy got into a shouting match with the guards at one point. Finally, we worked it out, got a ride up (we paid two cedis for it- not too bad), and had a nice little tour. I took lots of pictures.

The dam was pretty cool. It's so important in terms of Ghana's development and the current state of the country, that I decided it was a pretty neat place before we even got there- so maybe I'm biased, but I loved it.

We befriended our taxi driver, Seth, so he drove us to Krobo Mountain in Akuse after we saw the Akosombo Dam (where the majority of Ghana's electricity comes from). We were in search of the Krobo Mountain Community Reserve, but it doesn't appear to exist any more. Instead, we hiked the mountain (with Seth) then got dropped off at the trotro station in Kpong and caught a trotro to Accra. The trotro passed through Legon so we were able to get dropped right on campus- a very nice ending after a long, traffic filled trotro ride home.

So it was a nice weekend but not earth shattering. Yesterday I just slept and did alllll my laundry, then walked to the mall with friends and shopped at ShopRite. In the evening I hung out with Biano (talked and drank Sparks- basically alcoholic ginger ale), made dinner at ISH and chatted with USAC friends while I ate, and hung out with Biano for a few more hours before calling it a night.

Biano realized the other day that the lines on my palms don't have any color. If you look at his palms, you see dark brown lines (the ones palm readers use) against the lighter skin. My palms are all one color. Apparently they look like a baby's palms. Anyway, Biano kept looking at them and laughing. It was really funny. I'm not sure why they ticked his fancy so much.

His friends have some nicknames for him now: Diaspora man, American man, Sigmund Freud's In-Law


Brown family, I just got the e-mail about Aunt Carol today. I'm thinking of all of you and wishing I was there. All my love.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb