Spacing Out


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Ashanti
February 15th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ah we've been enjoying our time together. Kwabena loves baking and Praise loves his bike!

This next week the students will be “spacing out”. We have a team of (2) teachers to help launch us into space! Last month, under some very comical circumstances, I met Jessica (Utah) and Matild (France) here in Dunkwa. Both are volunteers in Ghana for 3 months, love kids and the sciences. They spent a few days in Apebouso teaching and being taught (culture). Despite Apebousos very hungry cocoa bugs, the girls enjoyed the visit and have asked to come back this week. We have some fun ideas we hope will help students begin to grasp the mind stretching concept of space.

It is possible for this to be the final week in processing the schools official registration. Yep, one day soon we will be a “Real School” recognized by the Ghana’s Ministry of Education. I had to chuckle while reading over the questions on the forms. Some of the questions asked, “Is your school building wired for electricity? Does it work? Is your school plumbed for water? Does it work? Does your school have latrines? Are they functional?” In Africa both questions are necessary “do you have” and “does it work”.

We have finally received a visa interview date for Praise. March 10th is the day of decision. This interview will grant or deny him permission to travel to the US. Then we can begin narrowing down travel dates and making flight arrangements.

I thought of you all as I read this quote by Frederick Buechner. “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.”

Christine & Co




Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb