the "Obruni" has arrived in Agogo


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Ashanti
September 18th 2008
Published: September 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, a whole lot has happened since my last post on Sunday - without much access to internet - and it looks like I won't have fast internet access for awhile! Anyway, this past Monday, we started to split off and move to our respective towns where we will be doing our internships. On Monday we drove to Awisa, a small village which is about 3 hours away from Accra and is near the district capital of Akim Oda. This is where we dropped of Shanti where she will be completing her assignment as a ChildSpeak coordinator. On the way back Rev. Wayoe, Rabina, George our driver and I stopped at a small roadside restaurant to eat. We decided to try fou fou for the first time which is a common Ghanaian dish - especially in the areas where we will be leaving. Fou fou is made of cassava and plantain which is mashed and then boiled into a very wet cookie dough like consistency. A large lump of fou fou is then placed into stew where one takes their (always) right hand and pinches off a piece of fou fou and scoops up some stew with it. Many ghanaian foods are eaten with fingers so that is something I will have to get used to. (I am not sure I brought enough purell to do this...)
The next day Rabina and I were taken to our own town called Agogo where we will be spending the rest of our internship. It is an absolutely beautiful place that is situated in the rainforest and between mountains. therfore known as "naturally walled". Despite being fairly small (approx 30000 people) it is very famous due to the hospital and eye clinic that people will come from all over Ghana and neighbouring countries to visit. It also has a teacher's training college that is a part of the primary school I will be working at. The president of the training college has also asked us to possibly help out at the teachers college as well.
I must say that Ghanaian hospitality is true to form as Rabina and I have been so warmly welcomed by everyone from the president of the school to the ladies in the market. For the first two days, the president of the school had us over for meals as we were getting settled into our place. Rabina and I are living in what is called a guest house which is pretty much like a hotel room. We each have our own room with bathroom (inc toilet and shower!) and a screened in porch. We have converted one of the porches into our "kitchen" with a small cookstove, propane tank and preparation table. Our culinary delights have included rice and bean dishes and omlettes. We don't have any refridgeration so we have been buying daily and cooking what we buy that day. On the whole our guest house experience is pretty good - we lack privacy due to the open concept with lots of windows (required due to the heat). However, we are slowly getting used to it - along with the roosters that start to crow at 4am and the group who start to sing and pray LOUDLY at 5:30am each morning at the neighbouring pentacostal chapel. So far Rabina has been locked out of her room and we are still waiting for some tables and chairs to sit and eat with - but on the whole it has been good as we are settling. The caretaker and his wife and family are very friendly and want to help out all they can.
Rabina and I have been at school for the past two days which have not been structured to say the least. Formal classes do not begin till next week so the kids are still cleaning the school (no janitors - Can you imagine Canadian students being required to clean their schools???) and buying books, registering, etc... The children find me absolutely fascinating because of my white skin. They yell out "Obruni" which means "white person" from everywhere. I am constantly surrounded by children who want to touch me to see if my skin is real! I feel a little like a celebrity being so famous here. Rabina doesn't have the same experience as I do due to her darker hair and skin. However, the children are so friendly - and well - typical kids. They taught me how to play a typical ghanaian school yard game call "Ompeh" (sp??) today. It requires jumping and lots of foot movements and has a strategy similiar to "rocks paper scissors". I am looking forward to starting school next week and getting into routine to start our projects.
Anyway, my time is almost up at this cafe - which has extremely SLOW internet. So I will update soon. Keep in touch. I love hearing from you all!

Advertisement



18th September 2008

what fun
Hi Laura, We were at Martha and Rudy's on Saturday for a gang event and you were one of the topics of conversation (your mom and dad were there). I trust your TD debit card situation has been resolved?? Thanks for being so detailed about your experiences. I really enjoy getting a glimpse into what you are experiencing. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, X0X0 Doris
20th September 2008

Thanks Doris! - it has been an amazing experience so far - of course with its ups and downs and challenges. Unfortunately, I will only be able to get out money in large towns and be charged exhorbitant fees by TD. Ah well - such is travel. Talk to you later. Laura :)
20th September 2008

Thanks for the suggestions Kwesi!
24th September 2008

Hi Laura Paura
Sorry we took so long to get onto your blog. Sounds like you are having an awesome experience. We are so proud of you! Take care, have fun! Love, Uncle Hermann and Aunt Gina
28th September 2008

Thanks Uncle Hermann and Aunt Gina! By the way - happy birthday wishes go out to both uncle hermes and sarah bear!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb