Calendars, Calendars


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Ashanti
February 21st 2008
Published: February 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Globe TrottersGlobe TrottersGlobe Trotters

They love the calendars and are leanrning so much on their own initiative!
The calendars are arriving! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I hear more are still on the way. That’s Great! We have 2-3 in each classroom, all hung at levels the students can access them and glance through the pictures during free times. Last week I dug out the large, multi colored world map I have on fabric. In addition to the small globe, that was sent to us several months ago, I was able to find a nice sized world globe in a department store so I grabbed it. Now with the wonderful and wide assortment of calendars we are having a type of geography lesson. Using the calendars we are traveling the world, seeing the sights and animals according to the pictures. These kids have never seen a picture of a tiger! Now they see pictures of mountains, REAL mountains. In an attempt to illustrate the mammoth size mountains can be, I point out growing trees in the pictures. Explaining that they appear tinny but are actually full size trees like those around us. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can give the students an idea of the size of “real mountains”?

We have a
A Bush CutA Bush CutA Bush Cut

Daniel, a 6th grade student, has become Praise's barber of choice over the barber in town.
fabulous solar system mobile that was sent to us. I’m just itching to hang it! So just where and how does one begin explaining the world, the planets, the solar system, etc.? What’s the meaning of the words “world”, “planet”, and “solar system”? For the people of the village of Apebouso their “world” is limited to less then 20 miles, some as far as 100 miles! It’s one a giant step into outer space from here!

Progress and changes going on; Sunday (Feb 17th) we are expecting a part time teacher to arrive. Lewis Roberts is a Ghanaian man that lives about 70 miles north of our area. He has offered to teach one week each month! Kirk has become a part time teacher this term. He has offered to teach the joint class of 5th & 6th graders each Monday and adding days the weeks that Lewis is with us.

Please pray with us for more teachers to come. I have so many ideas and teaching aids but we lack the teacher power to implement them. The students are so eager to learn!

Concerning Praise, who is now 4yrs old, I’m interested in home school programs for him. I don’t want him to lag behind in his education. This is a very common problem among missionaries especially those of us in more rural areas. In the past we’ve had friends that used Abeka with their kids. I’m searching for other ideas, suggestions and recommendations. As parents and/or educators, what do you think works best?

Have a most wonderful week.
Christine & Co


Advertisement



Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.051s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb