Double backing but got to kiss a Warthog


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia
January 28th 2020
Published: January 28th 2020
Edit Blog Post

After a great night staying at the Catholic mission where David and Gonzalez were extremely welcoming and even gave us breakfast. We did manage to give them a contribution to their refugee camp but the main favour they asked for was for us to transport a sick old lady and a mother and her baby to a nearby clinic for treatment. Well it would be fair to say their hygiene standards were different and we enjoyed open windows to get a breeze. It also turns out the treatment centre was about 50KM away. I think our travelling companions had never been in a car, but they did take a fondness to Alain in the back with them!



Since we could not get through our proposed route we had to double back a little and go round the long way. We passed many rural ethiopian villages with tribes in a full range of different attire and of course all carrying the necessary AK-47 assault rifle to keep out the predators. We stopped along the way to buy some fuel from a barrel but all told most of the day was spent negotiating potholes in what was once a tarmac road (at least in part).



The scenery changed and we evidently entered the garden of Ethiopia because there were Banana and mango trees everywhere and terraced mountainsides growing everywhere. It was very impressive as were the 1 million cows, goats and donkeys that seem to live on the road with their herders. We thought perhaps the animals would be better fed on the green grass by the road but they mostly seemed keen on standing in the middle of the road and showed absolutely no fear to Nelly speeding toward them.



We eventually made Arba Minch and have ended up staying at the "Emerald Lodge" which is evidently quite a nice tourist spot overlooking the Chamo Lake. The site even has two resident (semi-friendly) Warthogs which i did just about get close enough to offer a kiss but they didn't seem keen.



We're splashing out on dinner out tonight eating in a restaurant!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb