That Emotional Roller Coaster Ride Called Volunteering


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Benishangul-Gumuz Region » Asosa
August 13th 2012
Published: August 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It feels so long ago when Shakira's "Waka waka"started my day -- weeks of getting soaked in African colors and spirit, hoping to get a good placement somewhere in the country of my choice.

And it worked. It has been six months since I got here in Ethiopia, and almost a year since the start of my journey to volunteering in a distant land. The jitters of the unknown, concerns about fulfillment of expectations, and excitement at new things to come are but a faint memory now. (Partly because it is so far from my vibrant idea of Africa, though that is another story.)


Deglamorizing It



Most of us have this romantic idea about volunteering -- share your time and skills, make a difference, save lives. Or, as Heroes' Hiro Nakamura got told, "save the cheerleader, save the world." Sounds like a glamorous and very virtuous job, right? Change the channel now.

Long-term volunteers leave behind their family, friends, career, lifestyle, and earning opportunities for a shot at positively changing lives. Call it adventurous, impressive, bold, perplexing, or downright insane, but these moves and the life amidst a whole new culture and people, set into motion phases of emotions that Hollywood movies cannot rival. Nope, not even Bollywood. Experts may even agree that it is perfect practice for naturally sharpening acting skills.




Let me break each of the phases down to show you why.



1. Excitement phase- that period when you need a pair of shades as everything seems blindingly bright

2. Fear phase - when you have "what if's" for breakfast, lunch, dinner and the thought of the monster lurking underneath the bed keeps you up at night

3. Shell-shocked phase - when "THIS is really happening" hits you so hard in the head you end up seeing stars on broad daylight, but with sturdy bomb shields and good shaking, you go back to Earth in no time

4. Sad phase - that period you think you are losing it because Gary V.'s "Babalik ka rin" is looping in your head

5. Contentment phase - when just seeing how the grasses are now greener makes you smile and escaping to the next town is no longer number 1 on your "to do" list

6. Happiness phase- when you hear birds singing although there are no birds and you are sure you are not delusional; once reached, the eagle has landed!

7. Enthusiastic phase- when you feel like you have superpowers and can do anything even without putting on a cape and wearing your undies over pants

8. Angry phase - when Murphy's Law is the rule, pleasant feelings got drained, and the fridge seems to be the perfect refuge to keep you from hurting yourself and others

9. Frustrated phase - supposed to be a period of enlightenment but you never seem to get the answer to the questions "What am I doing here?" and "Why am I doing this?" no matter how you rack your brain

10. Exasperated phase - period of drowning in a jar labeled "I am tired" and motivation to continue becomes scarce

11. I don't care phase- Need I say more? Move on.

12. Hopeful phase - when it feels like everything will turn out all right despite and in spite of (hopefully, you will not trip and hit your head on the ground)

Whatever the situation is, wherever one gets deployed -- be it in the middle of the jungle, slums, refugee camps, remote sleepy towns, or bomb-scarred cities -- long-term volunteers can go through this very wide spectrum of emotions over a short span of time (at least I did and still am) that will leave you wondering how that person is not yet in the looney bin.



When Motivation Comes in Handy



Aside from its sheer nobility, the thought of volunteering to help others is attractive for all sorts of reasons. Childhood dream. Travel. Better use of spare time. Genuine desire to help others. Gap year. Career break. Help forge world peace. Become the next Miss Universe. Run for senate. Oops, sorry, accidentally pressed on the remote. But the list really goes on. And on. Some are unknowingly self-serving, with self-image enhancement and feeling better being at the top of the list.

Whatever that motivation may be, it has to be long, durable, and be able to withstand persistent tugging when Sanity and Happiness suddenly shorten and you need to hold onto it to keep yourself from falling off the cliff. I am only half way-through my stint but I have tried yanking my motivation string a number of times already.

Yes, there are those days when telling myself "You've been volunteering for ages, this is no different!" or "Do not fret, just consider it as long-term travel," just does not seem to suffice. But the beauty of this dizzying ride is that once you reach the bottom, it can and will go back up. It gives you another chance for a whole new experience, depending on how you sit yourself and look at the tracks and the people you are with. You will see that most of the time, you are the one getting more out of it because, for some reason, in those stomach-wrenching moments as it makes unfathomable turns, you discover yourself and see the world in a whole new perspective. Well, hopefully not because you are sitting upside down. It gives you a deeper understanding of people and their actions, how stuffs work, and why things happened or did not.

For all its goodness and flaws, I do not regret taking this journey. So, I am tightening my seatbelt and readying my scream to enjoy the rest of my roller coaster ride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



13th August 2012

Courage, gumption and fulfillment
Hi, Doc Hana! Congratulations for being such a courageous volunteer in a course you have not chartered until your mobilization, and for the gumption to continue pursuing your goal/s despite all your challenges. Notwithstanding, you sound absolutely fulfilled as you ride your Ethiopian roller coaster ride. Go, go, go!
14th August 2012

Thank you!
Regardless of the reasons people give for volunteering, does it matter in the end? if even a little bit positive comes from it, then it is indeed your Nobel Prize. Thank you for going on the edge and giving this part of your life. Most people including myself, have never felt that piece of reward you are feeling. Maybe there are ups and downs, but we all have that even in our AC and heated houses with electricity 24/7 and water we can drink straight from the tap. We love you! TitaFromTexas!
15th August 2012

missing you
hi hana! i am happy to see that you're enjoying your adventure. hope evrything's well. take care always!
16th August 2012

No regrets! Amen. Thanks for blogging all the phases for those of us whom haven't volunteered but are considering. and p.s. you pictures are fantastic.
20th August 2012

thanks! i'll wait for your story on that volunteering road once you take it.
17th August 2012

You seem to be coping just fine :) You have 6 months more or less and there's still a lot of time to explore and be in that contentment phase. I know you're in Turkey now ---hoping this comment finds you where you are and just wanna encourage you that to labor for others is never in vain. :)
11th September 2012

Love reading your blog Hana! The pics are outstanding! I may have to use them should I dabble in painting again. I hope you're doing great. Keep up the good work!
20th September 2012

Really interesting post - sounds very honest and realistic. I'm just considering a placement in Asosa now, would love to hear more about the place and your experiences. Are you still there? What type of placement are you doing?
3rd October 2012

Thank you so much!
Great put! :-) I'm happy to know about brave and inspirational people helping the needy in my country... Thank you so much Dr. Hana and God bless your efforts. ‎<3 ‎
1st November 2012

If you are still there - Asosa
Trying to find a way to keep in touch with our adopted sons birth father since the orphanage has closed down, he lived in Asosa at the time of the adoption which was about a year and a half ago.
25th November 2012

Nice to meet you!
So glad I came across this blog. I appreciated your honesty and the portraits are just beautiful! Looking forward to following you.
26th November 2012

thank you anastacia! i really appreciate it.
26th November 2012
scars are symbol of beauty for the Berta people

Truly beautiful.
This is one of my favorite portraits from this blog. She looks so happy and the light just makes her face shine. Yes, she is truly beautiful. Great job!
8th March 2013

Hello Hana,
We've been traveling and are just settling down so I've finally had time to read this blog. How fantastic!! You are doing such good work. You've taken some amazing photos and captured the essence of these people. Hope your days are busy and you are happy...most days. Thanks for caring about others.
17th April 2013

Amazing!!
I have enjoyed reading this and seeing pics. What an amazing experience - you capture it well and I get a sense of what it's like - bit of a roller coaster but compelling!! Sue

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb