Four Seasons in One Day


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Benishangul-Gumuz Region » Asosa
January 17th 2011
Published: January 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Living in a boxLiving in a boxLiving in a box

Setting up home (this time in 'Nam)
Boy it's been a while!

Six months since my last blog entry and one year since we flew back from Ethiopia. Sometimes seems like a lifetime ago, particularly as parents now.

Given I started work within 5 days of my return and (as you will see) we've had a pretty busy year, I have really struggled to reach the magic 100 blog entries.

But have no fear, doubters. I *will* do it.

I have taken 3 days off of work to acknowledge the need to get sifting through those pictures and get typing away with my notes.

Granted some of the pictures will be a little out of date (tho' not sure pictures from say the lakes at Arba Minch will date that rapidly?) and some of the commentary might be briefer than usual ("hallelujah" I hear Sara cry).

So onward, while the spirit is willing and wind set fair!

I guess a review of the year first, so you know what we are up to; then on with the pictures and thoughts from Ethiopia in later blogs.

FEBRUARY (2010)

Back with a bang and straight up to Cheltenham to find a
Northern Exposure (in Glasgow)Northern Exposure (in Glasgow)Northern Exposure (in Glasgow)

..along with some of the VSO Ethiopia class of Feb '08
house.

My job back at Assureweb starting the Monday after the Wednesday we landed. Begging bed space for a fortnight at Mark & Rach's as well as Nath & Carolines house we finally moved into a nice little 3 bed in the Tivoli area of Cheltenham.

When you live overseas, out of little more than a suitcase of clothing and whatever you picked up at markets as Shola (Addis) or locally in Assosa, you cannot believe the wealth of "stuff" a human can accumulate given half the chance.

We had done our best to junk whatever could not be recycled or given to a charity shop before we departed; yet we still had a 3 ton truck of boxes and furniture to unload and arrange, once liberated from storage in the old Gloucestershire aircraft hanger owned by Advanced Removals.

Throughout the period, Advanced Removals had been excellent and not only executing the most amazing reverse park of the largest vehicle into the smallest gap in the narrowest road I have ever seen, they expertly whipped the boxes off the van and helped reassemble furniture.

We did manage another round of (why did I keep this?)
What does it say, Sa?What does it say, Sa?What does it say, Sa?

Bit rusty on the Amharic these days
stuff disposal, but it will take a few more moves and a more ruthless streak than I think I am capable of, to get down to a reasonable level.

Nevertheless, Sara's nest was coming together nicely.

MARCH

Back to the Emirates for my first game in 2 years.

Arsenal vs Barcelona! Not a bad one first up.

A great recovery from 2-0 down, but an injured Cesc Fabegas pointed towards an ulitmately disappointing season (once more) on the trophy front.

The Emirates has certainly been improved. A huge display of 20 foot high former players, arm-in-arm, now surrounds the stadium. Including, of course, Joe Mercer.

Inside they haven't added any trophies to the circular middle tier, but the internal walkways have been "Arsenalised" with pictures from great moments in Arsenal history, including the famous 2-0 at Anfield in '89 and a timeline of "The Invincibles" of 2003.

* * *

In March we also managed to make it up (via train as flying was impossible with an 8 month pregnant Sara) to Glasgow to stay with Amy and Allan, our old volunteer buddies from the Feb 2008 intake, who lived in
Tasty bayonetu..Tasty bayonetu..Tasty bayonetu..

..while Al does a coffee ceremony
Addis.

Gordon and Jackie (Gordon Feb '08) and Simon (lived on Sara's compound in Addis) joined us all for a great long weekend in Scotland.

Spent the first night at the Scottish Slam Poetry Final at the "Aye Write!" Glasgow book festival, held in the fantastic Mitchell Library.

Contestants get two, two minute slots to deliver poems in front of an audience and a set of judges. Very good and highly recommended. The pace is very fast and many clever poets.

The following day we did a whistle-stop tour around the centre - including a great view of the city from the top of an arts centre building (forget the name) and a trip to a pub that Simon had been meaning to visit.

Amy had found a new Ethiopian resturant "The Queen of Sheba" that had opened so - joined by Andrew (a short-termer from Feb '08), his partner, plus Sophie (also Feb '08) and a couple of her buddies - we headed off to taste the injera.

Not being a good sharer (as a vegetarian, I don't like "meaty" fingers and meat dishes on my injera - the Ethiopians are the same
Arsenal vs BarcelonaArsenal vs BarcelonaArsenal vs Barcelona

Hmm...that's new...a big fella with MERCER on his back :)
on fasting days) I am not a big fan of slap down loads of injera, mix up the dishes and tuck in.

A huge amount of food though, and the owner smiled along at our poor Amharic (she probably spoke Tigrignya or whatever they speak in Eritrea). Felt oddly full up after a few mouthfuls - though that could have been the skinful I had consumed since mid-afternoon 😊

Was great to try injera and shiro again after a few months of western E-numbers, preservatives, stabilisers, colourings and packaging.

And even better to share some time with Amy, Allan, Gordon, Jackie and Simon...and I'd always wondered what had happened to Andrew!

(Update: I gather the Queen of Sheba has sadly closed it's doors. Great idea, possibly poorly executed)

* * *

Sara and I had planned to try and get away for a final weekend together before we became a family of three. Lundy Island was a thought - where we had our honeymoon - but at this time of year you had to go via helicopter and Sara was too far gone for that.

Instead we booked into a fantastic looking lighthouse
Daleks invade South Wales lighthouseDaleks invade South Wales lighthouseDaleks invade South Wales lighthouse

Must have heard about the great veggie breakfast...
(the West Usk Lighthouse) just across the bridge in South Wales. I'd done some Internet research and found it had a floatation tank (good for Sara), a visiting reflexologist and a yurt (Mongolian tent) in the compound.

Run by a lovely, if rather eccentric fellow, we had a hugely relaxing time on the coast of the Bristol Channel. I even came face-to-face with a dalek. Hiding at the foot of the lighthouse stairs it was no doubt waiting for Davros to order total world domination.

I guess it would prefer to be somewhere warmer - like California? But as a junior dalek it probably had to start somewhere. Like West Usk.

(As we all know - circumventing dalek armageddon is straighforward; run up the nearest set of stairs and heckle from above 😊

* * *

Sara's dad, Chris (or soon to be Grandad Chris), paid a visit to our new abode in late March. It was great to see him as he has not been well, with liver and back problems.

We spent a really very enjoyable couple of hours at Slimbridge Wetland Centre, about 25 minutes drive south of Gloucester.

It
Bird watching in SlimbridgeBird watching in SlimbridgeBird watching in Slimbridge

Makes a change from scabby pigeons!
had been a long time - since childhood - since I'd been and it had certainly changed. Lots of flamingoes and all sorts of feathered friends to interest the keen twitcher.

Big enough to visit a number of times, we particularly enjoyed the beavers (or were they otters?). Can't wait to bring the little minxster here when she is old enough to appreciate it.

(People do say that one of the great things about having kids is being able to do all the things you did as a kid again with your kid!).

APRIL

The big month.

Short but sweet visit by Adam and Christy, over from the States, with their son Pete.

Born the day we found out Sara was pregnant, we had had a double celebration back in Assosa and now got to meet the little fella, 8 months later. They seemed to have fallen comfortably and happily into parenthood and we hoped we would emulate them a few short weeks (days!) afterwards.

Kev and Izzy (volunteer friends from Addis) popped by one night en route to Izzy's mum in Stroud. Had a great night drinking wine, sharing updates and catching
Pete and Adam (Christy off shot)Pete and Adam (Christy off shot)Pete and Adam (Christy off shot)

Over from the Big Apple
up on pictures from their trip to the Afar region on their final post-placement trip round Ethiopia.

Then Sara's mum was over and the happy whirlwind of child birth spun us through the rest of the month.

***

April also saw me enter the world of the smartphone.

When we left the UK, iPods and computers for snobs, graphic design and hackers were all that Apple produced.

When we came back, every man and his dog had an iPhone.

Just like the seminal advert, you are never alone with an iPhone.

In fact, even if you have company you can still tip-tap and slide-flick away.

Perhaps you are always alone with an iPhone? It lends itself to lonely collaboration "excuse me, I've just got to tweet about this great dinner I'm eating"; "uh, well, I am sitting right opposite you, try talking to me...."

Assureweb had given me a BlackBerry (affectionately known as crack-berries as people become addicted to the flashing light that indicates someone has sent you a message - I *am* important to someone, see, I got a message).

I didn't like the BlackBerry. The Internet experience was
Kev & Izzie visitKev & Izzie visitKev & Izzie visit

Looks like Sara over did it on the dessert :)
somewhat disappointing and typing an email on a dinky keyboard? Oh, hell, I'll just call them instead.

Anyway, don't knock the smartphone revolution until you try it.

So I bucked the iPhone trend and bought an HTC Desire running Android.

Now I'm addicted! Recommended it to Steve, Jay, Stu and Mark, who all bought one. Jay got one for his wife. Jason and Matt at work bought the HD version. I should be on commission!

Anyway, if you want to know more, send me a tweet. Or gmail. Or good old fashioned SMS. Skype me over WiFi. Hotmail me over 3G. Send me a Facebook update via Sara and she'll pass on the news (if she's not reading her Kindle...)

(And if you want to risk the controversial - try calling and talking to me 😊

MAY

Within 4 weeks, Sahai (T'sehay) was off on her travels. This time to Birmingham for the Returned Volunteers weekend at Harborne Hall.

Another chance to mix with Ethiopian volunteer buddies, as well as find out how fellow trainees on P2V and SKWID had fared on their placements overseas.

I have a bunch of pictures
Mr Bean...Mr Bean...Mr Bean...

turns out to be a little pink minxster!
and some notes reserved for an RV Weekend Blog, so will keep my powder dry on that one and move on.

* * *

May saw us visit St Andrew's Church in Congresbury to show Sahai to my mum (Margot, whom she is named after) and my maternal grandparents.

Our joy at becoming parents carried a tinge of sadness (as we felt at our wedding ceremony in the same church) that neither my mum or Sara's dad Mark were alive to share our happiness.

We timed it right for a service with Matthew (our vicar) who was delighted to see Sahai. He had just carried out two funerals over the weekend and to see a new life and our happiness helped recharge his batteries for the week ahead.

* * *

Later in the month we took up the kind invitation of Rob & Kay to spend a couple of days with them in a caravan at a holiday camp in Devon. Their son (our God son) Charlie was there (we had not seen him since he was a wee nipper) and Kay was pregnant with number 2.

Always very good company we
RVs at Harborne HallRVs at Harborne HallRVs at Harborne Hall

Room for a small one?
had a relaxing time and enjoyed seeing what a well-behaved little fella Charlie had grown into.

JUNE

Grandad Chris and "Nanna" Sue paid us a visit and Sara took Sahai to her first swimming class.

Water Babaies is a national scheme, run over sets of 10 week terms, that prepares the way for babies to start swimming, even though they are not phsyically able to swim unaided until around 3 years old.

For creatures who spent the best part of 9 months floating in a warm fluid, the babies in the class seemed unusually reluctant to venture back into the world of water - even the warmed hydrotherapy pool of the Leonard Cheshire society in Cheltenham.

Maybe they have to resist it, else revert to type. The instructor warned that 1 in 200 babies goes underwater, thinks they are back in the womb and forgets to breathe again when they surface! Ooops!

Hat's off to the instructors though. They spend concentrated 30 minute sessions with 10 or so mums/babies in a conveyor belt fashion over the course of a day.

Constant screams, cries and "splish, splash, splish, splash, around in a circle and
Devon break with CharlieDevon break with CharlieDevon break with Charlie

("I married a fool" says Sara)
up in the air" must drive you somewhat crazy.

Our instructor looked red faced and wild, though that may be a result of 8 hours of chlorinated immersion 5 days a week!

JULY

Ahhhh....two weeks holiday in France.

Luxury.

Granny Dee and Auntie Anna fighting to look after Sahai.

Al and Sara can take a blow.

* * *

We had agreed the year before to revisit the gite for summer 2010 with Sahai. This time with the Mercer side of the family too.

Both gites had been booked and flights for Dad, Anna, John and Olli had been arranged.

Dave & Dee were driving over in a camper, part of a larger journey through France.

We had decided that given the paraphernalia that comes with having an infant in the western world - baby buggy, car seat, cot, backpack/bjorn carrier, 16 tons of nappies/wipes, 3 changes of clothes per day, towels, potions, unctions, more towels, baby swim suits, baby's favourite toys, parents favourite toys, toys parents think baby should like and then some more towels again - we decided we ought to drive.

This meant the ferry.
Grandad Chris & Nanna SueGrandad Chris & Nanna SueGrandad Chris & Nanna Sue

Mr Rabbit sneaks in too!


This in turn meant a round trip of 1,000 miles - Bristol -> Portsmouth -> overnight ferry to St Malo -> Gite near Bordeaux -> Nantes -> St Malo -> all day ferry to Portsmouth -> Cheltenham!

Sometimes life in Ethiopia, where a travelbag might involve 2 pairs of underpants and a spare t-shirt, seems a lot simpler 😊

What about the holiday?

Fantastic!

Ate great food. Drank great wine. Relaxed. Read books. Swam. Cycled. Watched the World Cup.

Took a day out to meet Bridget, Neville, Michael (got it right) and Rachel who were over for a break and a trip to the Classic Le Mans rally.

Spent quality time with the family - messing around in the pool playing games, early evening BBQs, table tennis championships with Dad, John & Olli.

Thanks again to Sue (the owner) for another great family break!

After the week in the gite, we headed home via a long weekend in Nantes to catch up with Christine, Bernard, Liana, Axel and Florien.

Again good food, good wine and good company!

Spend a day in Nantes city, visiting the rejuvenated harbour area, the
The Little MermaidThe Little MermaidThe Little Mermaid

Got her shades ready for holidays!
city centre and the castle, then a day by the coast (Sahai's first trip to a beach!).

So nice to catch up with our friends, particularly when they had been to Assosa and we could share memories and revisit photographs.

AUGUST

More international travel!

I had signed up a year before to the Twyford House cricket tour to Amsterdam. Quietly, before Sara had time to refuse 😊

Expecting a riotous trip, I was not disappointed.

Great to catch up with my old cricket buddies and shoot the breeze.

Was quite funny though, as a new generation of young players (as well as a few new players have joined the club) and people were looking at me and saying "who's this Alan Mercer fella?"

The usual trip around the Rembrandt Museum (red light district) was followed by the Anne Frank house (late night drinking in a bar and night club).

Showing not only my age but absenteeism from popular culture; I had to ask what the tunes were. Lady Ga-Ga and Black Eyed peas. Doh! Sign me up to Terry Wogan and a diet of Dad music...actually don't, I'm quite liking this popular beat-combo arrangement 😊

Come the second night I had to call a time out and spent the night in the dorm at the Hostel, trying to get some sleep!

We did manage two games of cricket, winning one and drawing another. One at the famous VRA Ground in Amsterdam, where international games are staged; the other at the Amsterdam Cricket Club, the oldest club in Holland.

The hosts at both clubs could not do enough for us and hopefully we helped swell their coffers as we swelled our bellies with beer and BBQ grub.

Our good friends and VSO Ethiopia Feb '08ers (placed in Arba Minch) Hans and Hanny drove over from Delft and we spent a pleasant couple of hours catching up on news while I explained some of the rules of the game. We parted with a promise to bring Sahai over to Holland to meet them later in the year.

Joking aside, we couldn't leave Amsterdam without visiting a museum. So off to the Heineken Museum it was!

By this stage, I couldn't even face another beer. I took a diet pepsi and a sparkling mineral water for my two
Pictures from the parapetPictures from the parapetPictures from the parapet

Christine & Sara exchange baby notes
free drinks. Quite a well done museum though.

Lots of Champions League paraphenalia, but nothing on the Heineken Cup - the premier rugby competition in Europe. Why the omission, I asked a helpful guide at the helpdesk? That is not a sport I am familiar with, came the reply...! QED.

* * *

Sara's sister Ondine and husband Ed (remember we went to their wedding in France last year?) caught the train up from London for a lovely weekend with us.

We went for a brief trip to town before the rain curtailed our outing, so we just had to dive into the nearest shelter - helpfully selling beer and bloody marys.

In a break in the clouds we scarpered home to watch Arsenal on the TV and another beverage or two.

The following day we had a lazy long lunch at the Langton - a child-friendly pub that has become something of a favourite of ours over our time in Cheltenham - before a bit of a cross-town rally to get to the train station in time for their return trip to the capital.

* * *

Sahai made her first
Bernard & Liana meet SahaiBernard & Liana meet SahaiBernard & Liana meet Sahai

..and Sahai meets the Elephant of Nantes!
visit to Ireland - the land of her maternal grandmother.

We had arranged a "welcome to the world" party for all of Sara's cousins who had become parents to (some for the second time) while we had been away.

Many of Sara's relatives had yet to see Sahai (and us yet to see their new arrivals) so it was a great opportunity to catch up. Conveniently (and kindly) put up in Ethine's rented out house, just a stone's throw from Fennessy's pub, we held an afternoon party for the family.

Great to catch up with all the infants (and older toddler siblings) - and also met Hana, her husband Solomon and their two children.

Hana worked briefly in the VSO Programme Office in Addis, before flying to Limerick to join her husband - Solomon - who was studying for a PhD in Localisation. We had brought back dried injera for Hana on our way back from Ethiopia in January.

Solomon was an interesting guy - offered a job by Google - he worked in/researched into the localisation (or customisation) of software for local markets. In Ethiopia with 80-odd languages and several different scripts, his skills were in demand!

Hana kindly brought us some lovely shiro and while Sara and the girls caught up on the news, I sat in the sunny garden with the fellas, talking to Solomon and Sara's uncles.

Best of all, Sara's grandad Brendan (who had not been well recently) was able to visit; and he managed to meet his eldest grandchild's daughter - one of several great grand-daughters he is lucky enough to have.

We have some lovely pictures of great-grandad, granny, mum and daughter - four generations of Sara's family!

SEPTEMBER

Another VSO rendevouz - this time with ex-Addis volunteer Kellie (from Hawaii).

She had briefly nipped across to Cheltenham earlier in the year, prior to Sahai's arrival. We had watched a movie and grabbed some mexican grub one weekend; followed by a promise to keep in touch; though she was unsure where she might end up - her job at Oxford University (where she had studied and worked previously) had fallen through on a technicality.

Luckily the job opportunity opened up again later in the year and she was now going to be living and working just 40 miles away from us.

Though we could have picked a better Saturday - it was open day at most colleges and the town was flooded with wide-eyed sixth-form students and their parents - we managed to have a big lunch at a central pub, followed by a gentle stroll around one of the college campuses.

Walking up stone steps, worn from years of academic scurrying, you could easily lose yourself wondering which famous Alumni had trod the same paths over the centuries before us...

* * *

September is the month of the Great North Run and this year Mr Haille Gebresellassie was competing for the very first (and probably last) time.

Having run the course ourselves, we tune in, even if only briefly, every year to see the elite atheletes, fun runners and celebrities.

Of course, with our Ethiopian connection, we had to watch the Great Man and cheer on what, in the twilight of his career, was by no means an inevitable victory.

In the end he left the competition in his wake and effortlessly crossed the finish line - in a time 30 seconds slower than the course record, but still 1 minute 30 seconds faster than the British record and 45 seconds faster than any Ethiopian has run that distance.

In an Ethiopian clean sweep Berhane Adere won the women's race.

Both relative veterans at 37, though some of our Ethiopian buddies think Mr Haille - birth dates not always recorded or celebrated in Ethiopia - is probably past 40 if the truth be told! Which kind of makes it even more impressive.

(Just weeks later, prior to the New York Marathon, Mr Haille announced a tearful retirement; though will he come back? Who knows?)

* * *

Earlier in the year, at the end of July, we had paid a visit to Gordon & Jackie's in Coventry, to have a VSO get-together with the pair of them, plus Simon, Kev and Izzie.

Now we were back, this time without Kev and Izzie, but with Allan & Amy.

Wowed by Gordons 50+ inch super HD TV screen and full-monty Sky Sports, I loafed, ate, drank and thoroughly enjoyed the good company.

We also discovered the good news - Gordon and Jackie were to marry later in the year, before a 6 week trip across New
First visit to IrelandFirst visit to IrelandFirst visit to Ireland

Four generations of Sara's family
Zealand!

Congratulations to you both 😊

OCTOBER

A somewhat disasterous Water Babies underwater "Nevermind" photo shoot in Westonbirt school (if someone sticks my head underwater in what could well be an attempt to drown me, I doubt if I'm going to be all-smiles either), was followed by an unexpectedly enjoyable afternoon stroll around the Arboretum.

Like a fool, I kind of assumed that with summer over, the place would be deserted.

Er, how wrong was I?

Autumn is when the leaves change colour and hordes of National Trust fans (and others) descend onto the woods to enjoy the riot of red and brown colour.

It could have been the couple of pints of Bath Ale that I quaffed over lunch or it could have been the relaxing stroll through wooded glades? Regardless, a trip worth making in future.

* * *

First Arsenal game of the season for me. Our 2 season tickets had been divided up for use by a consortium of four of us this year. With Sahai and a Bristol Rugby ticket (and one household income) it was not fair to spend every second week at Arsenal and
Meeting Kellie in OxfordMeeting Kellie in OxfordMeeting Kellie in Oxford

No sign of Inspector Morse?
every other week at The Mem watching Bristol 😊

Arsenal beat a well-drilled and big Birmingham side 2-1 after going behind. Birmingham had the tallest centre forward I have ever seen; about 12 foot 6 inches tall!

You could kind of guess what sort of game to expect, though historically, Birmingham/Arsenal games usually end up with disaster for Arsenal (major injury, squad rebellion, tipping point to throw away 5 point leads and Premiership titles...).

This time it was nice to have nothing more than a straight red for Wilshire to worry about...

* * *

Although Sara was reluctant to have Sahai baptised (she prefers to let her decide for herself when she is older) we did agree we would like to ask if our friends Stu & Jo and Sara's cousin Jack would become "Guide Parents".

Both parties had kindly agreed and we were left to arrange a ceremony at some point in the future.

Anyway, Jack was due to come over to the UK at the end of October with his school in Limerick for a schools rugby tournament at Hartpury College (the academy for Gloucester Rugby Club).

We were
Mr Haille does it!Mr Haille does it!Mr Haille does it!

Wins the Great North Run at a canter
keen to see him play as earlier in the year we had the fantastic news that Jack had been selected to play for Munster under 19s! He unfortunately missed an appearance at Thomand Park against Leinster through sickness, but got top play in Belfast against Ulster!

Although there is clearly a lot of hard work ahead for him, it was great that he got to pull on the red jersey of Munster and with any luck might make the grade for selection to the under 21s next year!

For now his priority was his schools rugby; as that would lead onto good club rugby; then possibly beyond.

Ethine and John flew across to stay with us and watch the matches (over 3 days) and luckily Sara, Sahai and I managed to catch a couple of games.

Jack's school made the shield final, though lost it to Hartpury College. Jack scored a couple of tries over the tournament and I have to say he looked very good.

Physically head and shoulders above many of his peers (he plays second row/back row). Clearly the 6 months he spent in New Zealand stood him in good stead...
Dinner @ Gordon & JackiesDinner @ Gordon & JackiesDinner @ Gordon & Jackies

Allan & Amy made it this time

Sahai got to see her guide parent Jack play (she even got a sweaty cuddle after the match - which was very sweet of Jack in front of all the other lads).

I introduced her to the oval ball, but given it was covered in mud and everything goes into her mouth for analysis at the moment, probably best to leave that one for a few more months yet 😊

NOVEMBER

Was characterised by my involvement in "Movember".

You probably saw lots of blokes walking around sporting unlikely looking moustaches, thinking "not sure that suits that fella?".

Well, that was me and like them it was all in a good cause!

(No doubt a few genuine moustache wearers got interrupted on their travels and irritated by "nice joke moustache, mate" comments!)

I gather it started down under - or at least I can remember seeing lots of mustachioed Aussie rugby players in the autumn internationals doing it a few years ago.

Grow a moustache and get sponsored to raise money for - and raise awareness of - Prostate Cancer.

I have to say it was actually a tougher assignment than you
Everything by mouth!Everything by mouth!Everything by mouth!

That really can't taste nice, can it??
might expect.

Not because I am lacking in hair (well, apart from on my head) but because where ever you went you felt you were being looked at and chuckled about (particularly when you went for the design I chose).

Maybe it is a sign of one's own insecurities, but getting on a tube, or in a lift and seeing people's eyes settle on your mouth region is somewhat disconcerting.

Conversation stops, giggles stifled; and as people walk away you think you see them doing the "did you see that fella's tache?" routine.

Anyway, I raised £100 for the cause and cross examined my self-consiousness (particularly during one unnerving workout session at the local YMCA gym!) so I highly recommend it to you all next year.

And come the final few days, I actually became quite attached to my furry facial friend.

I even mentioned to Sara I might keep it after the end-of-month shave-off date...

The suggestion was swiftly dismissed.

* * *

One of our IT security suppliers, Signify, had booked out a seminar/workshop at the Emirates stadium to say thank-you to all their customers and celebrate their 10th
Boo!Boo!Boo!

Sahai's first Halloween
"birthday".

I was clearly *forced* to go along 😊

Joined by two work colleagues we had an interesting day hearing about the latest 2-factor authentication technologies and an even more interesting tour around the stadium.

Did you know the home team dressing room is designed without corners for feng shui harmony?

The lighting is also feng shui approved.

The acoustics designed so Mr Wenger does not need to raise his voice. The table positioned so everyone can see him.

The floor is special non-slip material and the seat cushions designed to prevent blood flow restriction during half-time when the players are receiving their team talk.

(Of course the away team dressing room is square, has bright lights, poor acoustics so the visiting manager has to shout, he has poor line of sight to all players and there are no cushions. The tour guide even joked that they even polish the floor before the away team arrives!)

DECEMBER

A busy month.

Both Sara and I had been training for a 10k run along Weston beach - the annual Wyvern Cristmas Cracker.

We had run this several times before - if
Autumn @ Westonbirt ArboretumAutumn @ Westonbirt ArboretumAutumn @ Westonbirt Arboretum

Another season @ the Emirates
you recall we ran it to raise money for VSO in December 2007 (a lot of blog entries ago!).

The form is you must wear at least a piece of tinsel, though ideally you dress up in fancy dress, run the race, then eat a mince pie and enjoy raffles and entertainment after the event.

Our friends Ann and David where also running (as per the 2007 event) though this time we were all doing it for fun, and not charity.

Unfortunately on the day Sara had to drop out. Our baby-sitter (Nanna Sue from Hastings) was trapped in bad weather so it was left to the three of us to brave the wet sand, sea breezes and black ice.

My training had been going well and I managed a time of 56 minutes. Not bad for a veteran (as I now am, having passed the 40 year milestone!).

The race was followed by a healthy nosh up at a local hungry horse type establishment and about four pints of lager.

(Our bodies are temples. Egyptian temples. Worn down through age and neglect; of interest only to mummies and archeologists; with lots of cursing
Sahai don't know rugbySahai don't know rugbySahai don't know rugby

Godfather Jack sure does though!
going on 😊

* * *

Another of Assureweb's IT suppliers - Star Internet - invited us to a Cloud Computing seminar at the SS Great Britain in Bristol during early December.

Always keen to visit my home town and even keener to see something of local historic significance I pitched up and took advantage of a free tour around the restored steam ship and accompanying museum.

It has certainly come on in leaps and bounds since my last visit as a boy. Very professionally done and I only skimmed the surface of what was a very comprehensive set of exhibits.

In the days of deadlines, targets, reminders and more forms of electronic contact than seems really necessary, it was ironic to think some of it was started by Brunel and his invention of the first steam-driven ship.

Prior to steam, all international transport was by wind and sail. At the mercy of the elements there was no way you could accurately predict when your journey would end.

For the first time ever passenegers on the SS Great Britain knew that the journey to New York was 14 days on the nail!
MovemberMovemberMovember

(Moustache plus November)

It's hard to imagine starting an international journey these days and not knowing when you would arrive (though part of me thinks that might be quite exciting..!)

* * *

As promised in August, Sahai, Sara and I ventured across the channel (by plane, not steamship) to Amsterdam, where Hans and Hanny met us and took us to Delft for a lovely weekend in their home town.

We enjoyed some kind Dutch hospitality, strolled through the central shops and Christmas market areas, saw the historic churches of Delft (the "new" church and the "old" church, though they are both hundreds of years old) where the Dutch royal family are buried and visited an impressive and thoroughly modern library with computers, games consoles, play areas and even live musicians performing while people drank coffe and read books in the coffee area.

To cap it off we had the *best* Ethiopian bayonetu (either inside or outside of Ethiopia) at a local Ethiopian resturant.

Hans and Hanny also gave us the news that they were going to re-volunteer in Ethiopia for another 2 years!

Placed in Addis, Hans would be a GIS and MI expert at the
The Hot SeatsThe Hot SeatsThe Hot Seats

Mr Wenger & Captain Cesc
Ministry of Education, while Hanny would accompany him and continue her good work with projects in Arba Minch and (I thnk) Ziway (en route to Awassa, close to the rift valley lakes). I have to say Hans kept me topped up with good quality belgium beer, so my memories may be a little hazy 😊

See you in Addis in a year or so!

* * *

December was also characterised by snow.

Lots of it.

Yet again it came as a surprise to all.

As my walk to work is only 15 minutes I was largely unaffected, though tottering around ungritted pavements (alongside ungritted roads) was entertaining. For anyone watching that is.

Then the much anticipated 2 week break in Ireland arrived and for the first time (and possibly last time) all sides of the family were collected together for Christmas in Kilbaha in West Clare (at Dave & Dees).

Sara, Dad and I flew on the 23rd (the bad weather sadly having spoiled our chance to get to Hastings to spend solstice with Chris, Sue and the two Kates).

Anna and Olli arrived on the 24th.

John arrived
Arsenal Stadium TourArsenal Stadium TourArsenal Stadium Tour

What a great idea! Thanks Signify!
on the 26th.

Lots of food and booze consumed; and pressies opened and enjoyed.

One of my highlights was a Christmas morning run to the Loop Head lighthouse along the still snow covered winding road up from Dee & Dave's house in Fodra.

Unfortunately the latter part of the holiday was disrupted by Sahai's illness.

She has what is called a febrile convulsion.

About 1 in 20 kids get these when their temperature rises suddenly above 100 degrees.

Basically their brain shuts down as it is not mature enough to deal with the temperature rise. They get tremors in their limbs, their eyes roll around, their faces go blue and they can stop breathing for up to a minute.

Of course, to concerned parents it looks to all intents and purposes that you beloved child is dying right in front of your eyes. Very, very distressing.

I can still remember as clear as day thinking helplessly "this is it, my daughter is dying and there is nothing I can do about it".

One of the advantages of living in a beautiful and remote part of Ireland is also one of its
Sara picks up a Christmas bargainSara picks up a Christmas bargainSara picks up a Christmas bargain

Grandad Brian seems pleased with it :)
disadvantages too - it is so far from anywhere that the nearest hospital is almost 2 hours away. Even if you call an ambulance, it is not going to get the child to hospital for 4 hours (there and back).

Fortunately as Sara rushed outside to get help, the cold air cooled Sahai down and she came round. A mad dash to Limerick hospital followed (Dave kindly driving) via a quick stop to see a GP in Kilrush ensued and ultimately Sahai was kept in overnight for observation.

Have to say the staff at Limerick hospital (and the Shannondoc people at Kilrush) were very good. Particularly the nurses at the Rainbow children's ward.

Sahai was given the all clear the following afternoon - an ear infection the cause - antibiotics the cure.

The event kind of coloured the remainder of the holiday and it was with some relief we eventually came home.

JANUARY

Still only part way through, but we have already managed to catch up with Marta (Feb 08 VSO Ethiopia volunteer) in London and celebrated Ethiopian Christmas ("gena") on the 7th January.

Tara, Nancy, Joanna and Jamie came to our house
Dressed for the partDressed for the partDressed for the part

Santa and his little helper
and we had a weekend of Ethiopian reminiscing, though for some, their departure was only a few short weeks ago.

Most were either in the post-VSO looking-for-job limbo, or had just started work once again.

We all dressed up in Ethiopian costumes, Nancy bought injera from London, we had ber-beri and shiro from Assosa and a full monty bayonetu prepared by the guys while we were catching up with Marta.

As I waved goodbye to Jamie on the Sunday a wave of sadness passed over me as I was again reminded that our wonderful Ethiopian adventure was over and it would slowly recede into our shared histories.

Time to fan the embers of my memories once more and give the blog (and the expeirence) the send-off it deserves.

The next day at work I booked three days off to work to that aim; and here I am.

(Oh, and a little matter of winning the Ashes down under happened this month! Noteworthy in that I was 17 last time it happened. At that rate I'll be 65 - and Sahai 24 - when it happens again...)

* * *

So well done
Back home in BristolBack home in BristolBack home in Bristol

The SS Great Britain
you!

You got to the end of this mammoth entry (or did you just cheat and look at the pictures 😉

It took far longer to write than anticipated. Probably longer for you to read than anticipated too!

A few, notes with lots of pictures up next I reckon?

Right. Spell checking, formatting, publish and on with the 88th entry..

Just 12 more to go.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 40


Advertisement

"Eet smakelijk!" "Eet smakelijk!"
"Eet smakelijk!"

T'eru mugub now! Thanks Hans & Hanny
The New Church in DelftThe New Church in Delft
The New Church in Delft

Sara takes the European baby buggy driving test
More Sahai firstsMore Sahai firsts
More Sahai firsts

First snow and first cat (cat seen it all before...)
Christmas in West ClareChristmas in West Clare
Christmas in West Clare

Escaping the snow chaos back home
Meeting MartaMeeting Marta
Meeting Marta

England did it down under!
Melkam Gena!Melkam Gena!
Melkam Gena!

Good work guys :)


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb