Ethiopia - Gondar


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Amhara Region » Gondar
January 30th 2008
Published: February 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We're beginning to wonder if we've ended up in some sort of strange Lord of the Rings allegory. Our first stop in Ethiopia is the ancient capital of Gondar. Later on we were scheduled to drive through a village called Shire. It's a shame that the Semien Mountains aren't called the Misty Mountains... Okay, I think the relation seems to stop there but it gave the geeks in us (...okay me) a bit of entertainment for a while.

We immediately took a liking to this country. The food is excellent! They have teriffic pizza (Italian influence), tasty coffee (especially when instant Nescafe has been typical for the last 3 months), and cheap beer (about $0.75 per bottle). The local food is also very good - especially the food served on fasting day (ie: no meat allowed).

Here we visited a church shaped like Noah's Arc, the King's Bath, and the Royal Enclosure which dates back to the 17th century.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Fasting foodFasting food
Fasting food

Delicious local food served on Engera (large pancake thing).


8th February 2008

It looks so peaceful, clean and orderly... You two are actually looking more relaxed/refreshed then when you started this trip... Thank you for shareing all of this - have really enjoyed it and look forward to the next batch of pictures and comments. Joyce
13th April 2008

buzzard
That's actually a kite, black kite... one of the zillions all over Africa. You probably saw a million or so in Dakar alone. The best indicator is the V in the tail. We are still figuring out what the West African raptor picture is, though....
20th March 2009

wonderful
I did not think ethiopia that good. What I saw is wonderful. I would like to go there soon.
17th July 2009

amazing pictures
i love all the pictures posted here.

Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 43; qc: 160; dbt: 0.1865s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb