FACES OF ETHIOPIA


Advertisement
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region
December 11th 2011
Published: December 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

FACES OF ETHIOPIA. My interest in portrait photography started during travels in China and got serious in Tibet. I learnt a lot about sensibilities, effect and results. Not conversant with their languages...other than the odd line that would open doors...I developed a technique that I have used ever since...to encourage the subject to connect with the camera. I have taken photos of people surrep... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 126, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




11th December 2011

Who's the Ugliest of them all?
Oh Dave, your pictures mesmorize me as always, such a storyteller, and haven't we all encountered (but few of us will go toe to toe with) the "ugly tourist'. I'm glad you got away with balls in tact.
13th December 2011

THANK YOU ANDREA
Thank you for taking the time to comment...on both the story & the pics...stories that had to be told...pics I had kept for this blog...add to the portraits in my other Ethiopia blogs...Ethiopia is portrait paradise. Keep safe...looking forward to your next destination.
13th December 2011

Daredevil Dancer
Ah, Dave, I love your courage--choosing the prettiest one to dance with, getting up in front of everyone to dance even when you think you don't have the rhythm, capturing the essence of people on film (I can't even do that with friends), and speaking the truth to the unconscious. I'm sure Dancing Dave stories will long be told in Lalibela.
15th December 2011

THANKS TARA
Glad you connected to my rhythm...appreciate you taking the time to comment...keep safe.
13th December 2011

Beautifully narrated story :)
Dave, your story about the beggar woman brought tears to my eyes. This is one of the biggest problems in the world today, a total lack of respect for others. Many of us travel the world, treating those we meet as our equal or even elevating their status above ours when we are made privy to and gain an understanding of what they have to endure every day just to survive. Then comes ugly tourist woman who, in a moment of idiocy, destroys everything that people like us travellers have tried so hard to do in an attempt to build bridges between people of different colours, creeds and cultures. All I can say is that I admire your level headed attitude and sensitive approach to the situation, if it had of been me, several expletives would have flown. I pray every day for just a little more love, respect and tolerance in this world. Is it really too much to ask for? Maybe it is for ugly tourist woman!
13th December 2011

THANK YOU NICK
Your empathy for others is a wonderful trait...I had to tell the stories of the ugly tourists...yet difficult to find a blog to tell them without being a downer...both ugly tourists were equal in my book...but the photos & that I have found rhythm after all these years made it worthwhile. Thanks again for taking the time to comment...cheers the heart.
14th December 2011
HAMAR

A penny for his thoughts...
what a spectacular photo...what is he thinking?
14th December 2011
KARO

eyes are the window of the soul...
with those looks he could grace any fashion magazine's front cover & leave the rest for dead! i love the mostly direct gazes of the African people - they seem to be devoid of selfconsciousness , unaffected so refereshing!
3rd February 2012

Ugly Tourist
Howdy Dave, I'm a ferenj from South Africa who has spent much of the last 5 years in ET and have had my fair share of run-ins with this type...got my own back on one in Lalibela market by lending my camera to one of my habesha guwadegnas who followed the B...around taking snaps of her....amazing how p....off she got when she was on the other side of the lens.....but I think the penny finally dropped......when my friend offered her 2 birr if she could take another another picture. Great story and really great photos.
3rd February 2012

THANKS DEREK C
Wonderful comment...thanks for that...I'll know what to do in future...hope never to be in that position again though...but if I am...I'll have to take a picture...if I can overcome disgust or indignation. Your method does add a lighter side to counter the Ugly Tourist...I like it..!
9th September 2012
KARO

Congratulations!
This photograph was chosen as a Top Ten image in the Celebrate African Children Project photographic competition!
9th April 2016
TIMKET

wow
thanks for share
9th April 2016
TIMKET

Wow
Thank you Vikash. Ethiopia is a wonderfully diverse country with many friendly faces.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb