King Tut, Temples, and an Uplifting Experience


Advertisement
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt
February 26th 2016
Published: February 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

As our train rolled into Luxor we realized one of the advantages of hiring a local guide is that he or she has that extra shred of knowledge that can make life a lot easier just when you need it. As we neared our destination point, Ragab made arrangements for the train porter to provide an assist, as the train station at Luxor was “undergoing renovations.” On the surface a rather innocuous sta... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Luxor ValleyLuxor Valley
Luxor Valley

Temples for the workers were on opposite side of the Nile from the Royals.



28th February 2016

Egypt, Tut, balloons
Awesome pics! Glad you are through some of the " roughing it" part of your trip and can bum out in some luxury!
29th February 2016

Egypt, Tut, balloons
We are happy to have the camping behind us...although the desert was amazingly quiet, serene and peaceful. We are glad the mattresses have improved. Thanks for following and commenting.
29th February 2016

Fair estimate
I'm sure that your blog will encourage others to venture to Eygypt and hopefully move toward reviving tourism. Love that you are candid about everything and still find positives (or at least a good laugh) from your experiences! C
29th February 2016

Fair estimate
We do hope others will go to Egypt but they must do what they are comfortable with. Thanks for following along and commenting.
29th February 2016

A pox on selfie sticks!
I rue the day that someone invented the selfie stick, and by extension, the idea that your life doesn't really exist unless you post pictures of yourself on the internet. I was in the cathedral of Saint Anthony of Padua and was dismayed to see a young lady pose provocatively in front of the altar. A little respect goes a long way, and I applaud the museums that ban selfie sticks.
29th February 2016

A pox on selfie sticks
It is amazing that one can be so self centered that they must be in every photo. I am sad to hear about the cathedral, which ones again shows many don't have respect or common sense. Sad really.
29th February 2016
Felucca

TBers in heaven!
I've so enjoyed reading your and Brendan's blogs in tandem--wonderful, different perspectives. Lovely, luxurious Luxor--four days in one spot, filled with your fill of exotic Egyptian temples, lounging around the pool, sailing down the Nile and up, up and away in a hot-air balloon. That sounds like a fine vacation! So glad you're both learning a lot and relaxing--perfect!
29th February 2016
Felucca

TBers in heaven
Yes the trip has been a fine balance of relaxing and visiting the past. Brendan's writing style is so different from ours... love his perspective on things...and of course that wicked sense of humor. Thanks for following along and commenting.
29th February 2016

Felluca memories
In 1982 I and 4 others hired a Felluca for a 5 day sail from Aswan to Luxor... just a fabulous time .. eating and sleeping on the boat... stopping by villages and temples along the way.... and risking the dreaded bilharzia (schistosomiasis) worm infection by swimming off the boat (well it was hot and the water was great). Thanks for the flashback! Valley of the Kings a real treat... but no balloons back then!
29th February 2016

Felluca memories
We entertained the idea of a 3 day trip on a Felluca but in the end didn't do it. We think we made the right decision for us. Glad we are providing you some memories.
29th February 2016

great pics
As always, the pics are wonderful and make me so envious of you guys. Thanks for sharing not only the pics but the narrative. Looks like another spectacular experience from your bucket list.
29th February 2016

Great pics
Thanks Billie, Egypt was a good trip. Always good to get in a balloon and get perspective. The Luxor area had a lot to offer. So many temples and tombs and so little time.
29th February 2016

I've enjoyed reading your blogs about Egypt...
I hope it encourages others to visit soon. Linda and I enjoyed our brief time there. I agree that having a guide enriches the experience.
1st March 2016

Enjoyed reading Egypt
When Dave and I travel we often hire a guide for a few hours and sometimes we don't. In Egypt if you didn't have a guide you would certainly miss so much because you would not understand what you were looking at with the carvings. The history is fascinating. Thanks for following along.
1st March 2016
One more carving

Ancient ancient Egypt
This is the sort of image that must take you way way back to the might of Ancient Egypt. I can only imagine the thrill and awe wandering through Luxor...but to be truthful I can't really imagine how good it must be to be there!
1st March 2016
One more carving

Ancient ancient Egypt
The thrill and awe makes us speechless. It is hard to understand what you are looking at and realize you are reading and communicating with ancient civilizations. Simply amazing. Thanks for your comments.
1st March 2016

Up and away
Love the ballon photos , guys. You certainly have had a great trip in Egypt with such a range of experiences...and so well documented for those of us sitting at home by the fireside. Look forward to the Jordan blogs. Lynne
1st March 2016

Up and Away
Egypt has so much to offer and we've tried to sample a bit of all of it. Enjoy the fireside. See you soon.
1st March 2016

"templed out"
A common illness that can occur anywhere in the world, glad you discovered the remedy by sitting by the pool. Had a few hits of this illness over our travels. Agree completely with your rant on selfie sticks, the occasional selfie you can handle but it is the ones that live in front of the camera that is hard to handle. Great blog and photos once again
2nd March 2016

Templed out
Yes, too much of a good thing. Plus in Egypt you learn or much history- or get reacquainted with it that the facts have filled your head and then so many temples you feel sensory overload. Anyway we survived. We are ready to banish selfie sticks from the world.
2nd March 2016

I am so enjoying your blogs!
I am loving your trip guys! I have always wanted to go to Egypt... hopefully soon... I will read Brendan's blogs next ;) I also don't understand the selfie thing... I mean, every now and then we will take a selfie but this obsession with being in every photo... I just don't get it! And don't even get me started on selfie sticks!! The tackiest thing ever!!
3rd March 2016

Enjoying our blogs
Thanks Deni and Dax, this is a grand trip. We've seen so many amazing things and learned so much history that we'd forgotten or not been exposed to. Everyone takes a selfie from time to time but we must have seen 100+ selfie sticks and the one girl never took a picture without being in it. We'd never seen anything like it. She even had it up when she walked. Very, very strange.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb